The Student Room Group

English exam HELP ?

Hey, this is my 3rd time taking this exam but i am worried i won't pass. I have 5 days left what do you guys recommend to revise mostly? Punctuation, Grammar or using some long fancy words that make me look smart.

Also, what are the expected grade boundaries and what should i expect if i want to do the resit. Do i need over X amount of marks to sit it? i am trying my hardest done the 3 sample papers on average 40-45 marks per paper. I am not originally English so i am scared as ****.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Anusman
Hey, this is my 3rd time taking this exam but i am worried i won't pass. I have 5 days left what do you guys recommend to revise mostly? Punctuation, Grammar or using some long fancy words that make me look smart.

Also, what are the expected grade boundaries and what should i expect if i want to do the resit. Do i need over X amount of marks to sit it? i am trying my hardest done the 3 sample papers on average 40-45 marks per paper. I am not originally English so i am scared as ****.

Thanks in advance.

Without a reference to a specific board or paper it is tricky to say - but practice whatever you think needs practicing, you have time. It may help to learn words and phrases that you could use in the exam.

As far as I am aware, there are no rules around getting x mark to resist, also grade boundaries aren't set until after the exam, you can try use previous boundaries as a rough estimate if you're hell bent on doing it.

Good luck mate, you can do it.
Original post by Anusman

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what your exam is on so this is just general (and it's in a personal order of priority):

Look up the specification and make sure you understand it in and out.

There are some good resources on youtube like Mr Bruff.

Practice even more

Know exam technique

Look up some new words

Make sure you know how to use punctuation and grammar effectively, of course. Don't worry about it too much though, I think English grammar is easy. My Russian friend moved here 2 years ago and she's already top of the class so you can do it:biggrin:

Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Without a reference to a specific board or paper it is tricky to say - but practice whatever you think needs practicing, you have time. It may help to learn words and phrases that you could use in the exam.

As far as I am aware, there are no rules around getting x mark to resist, also grade boundaries aren't set until after the exam, you can try use previous boundaries as a rough estimate if you're hell bent on doing it.

Good luck mate, you can do it.

AQA I have been so far. But i am still worried as ****. They changed the grade boundaries this year. they replaced ABCDEF to 1-10 (or 9) can't remember.

I know i have to use 5 punctuations and few powerful words which i am currently trying to learn. Do you know any good general powerful words that i could memorize and use?

Original post by alextheowl
I don't know what your exam is on so this is just general (and it's in a personal order of priority):

Look up the specification and make sure you understand it in and out.

There are some good resources on youtube like Mr Bruff.

Practice even more

Know exam technique

Look up some new words

Make sure you know how to use punctuation and grammar effectively, of course. Don't worry about it too much though, I think English grammar is easy. My Russian friend moved here 2 years ago and she's already top of the class so you can do it:biggrin:

Been watching 2 videos from mr Buff a day. I am watching them the second time now. Went over all the practice papers twice now.

What do you mean know exam technique?
Haha yeah, grammar is a ***** thought. I am from Poland and we use fancy letters to show our grammar whereas you mostly use nouns, verbs so on. I don't know why but i sorta find it harder :P.

Yeah i been over 2-3 mark schemes but they seem to be very vague. I mostly have a problem with question 2 and 5. I think i can manage 2 but 5 just seems to be too hard. I am **** when it comes to creative writing as i am the opposit of a creative person. I don't really know how to practice creative writing. I been reading few books trying to describe images but its still pretty hard especially with limited time and **** handwriting.
Original post by Anusman
AQA I have been so far. But i am still worried as ****. They changed the grade boundaries this year. they replaced ABCDEF to 1-10 (or 9) can't remember.

I know i have to use 5 punctuations and few powerful words which i am currently trying to learn. Do you know any good general powerful words that i could memorize and use?

Been watching 2 videos from mr Buff a day. I am watching them the second time now. Went over all the practice papers twice now.

What do you mean know exam technique?
Haha yeah, grammar is a ***** thought. I am from Poland and we use fancy letters to show our grammar whereas you mostly use nouns, verbs so on. I don't know why but i sorta find it harder :P.

Yeah i been over 2-3 mark schemes but they seem to be very vague. I mostly have a problem with question 2 and 5. I think i can manage 2 but 5 just seems to be too hard. I am **** when it comes to creative writing as i am the opposit of a creative person. I don't really know how to practice creative writing. I been reading few books trying to describe images but its still pretty hard especially with limited time and **** handwriting.

Wow we're doing the same exam! By exam technique, I mean know which questions need which level of detail, approximately how many paragraphs, and how long to spend on them. Creative writing is my most difficult section! What I've been doing is looking at key themes (different whether, sky, forest, buildings, etc.) and trying to practise metaphors and other techniques for them. I know there's no guaruntee that specific description will come up, but you never know. I still haven't revised any of the other questions but all I know is you have to be specific and write about something which isn't obvious. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alextheowl
Wow we're doing the same exam! By exam technique, I mean know which questions need which level of detail, approximately how many paragraphs, and how long to spend on them. Creative writing is my most difficult section! What I've been doing is looking at key themes (different whether, sky, forest, buildings, etc.) and trying to practise metaphors and other techniques for them. I know there's no guaruntee that specific description will come up, but you never know. I still haven't revised any of the other questions but all I know is you have to be specific and write about something which isn't obvious. Good luck :smile:

Yeah I have been doing the same. I have written down 5 general metaphors and every day when I wake up I read them and try to use or remember them throughout the day. Sorta helps but I just hope I ****ing pass this time if I don't I guess ill need to resit and if I fail that well then **** gonna get ugly :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending