The Student Room Group

DUP agree to support conservatives

Scroll to see replies

Right calling it now, quote me on it. PM will announce next election sometime in September.
Original post by MrDystopia

I'm curious to know now what the Tories gave up in exchange for the DUP support.

Their integrity... wait, sorry, that would assume there was any there in the first place to lose. My bad.
Original post by _NMcC_
This deal will be very bad for Northern Ireland as well as the rest of the UK.

As you may or may not have heard, Northern Ireland has no government because of the RHI Scandal (google it), basically, McGuinness stood down in protest at the DUP blowing £500m of N.I taxpayers money to farmers/businesses burning wood pellets!

Literally: £1.60 back for every £1.00 of wood pellets burned! That is the level of intelligence that Theresa May is dealing with. You should be scared.

From living in N.I, Sinn Fein probably won't form a local government if the DUP start swearing allegiance to the Tories. So even if the UK gets some sort of government, NI could still be without one for ages.

I really hope, somehow, Jeremy Corbyn will get into power because he at least he has acknowledged the existence of Northern Ireland, the tories have very little/nothing to help us in the past 5 years. Tony Blair actually did quite a lot.

Upon reading about previously that I don't understand how they didn't see it coming a mile off. :confused:

If you're offered above cost price to use a certain fuel then you're going to have the heating on full blast with the windows open 24/7. It's so glaringly obvious.
Reply 23
They've already got Number 10 ready to welcome Arlene.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4772342

Posted from TSR Mobile
A No 10 spokesman said: "We welcome this commitment, which can provide the stability and certainty the whole country requires as we embark on Brexit and beyond."

Oh please... could they honestly say this with a straight face? A more appropriate respone would be "Theresa May ****ed up, which has provided instability and uncertainty that the whole country fears as we embark on Brexit and beyond."
Original post by Doonesbury
They've already got Number 10 ready to welcome Arlene.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4772342

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Met in balaclavas? :biggrin:
We're getting in the spirit to celebrate those new Saudi arms deals. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by JamesN88
Upon reading about previously that I don't understand how they didn't see it coming a mile off. :confused:

If you're offered above cost price to use a certain fuel then you're going to have the heating on full blast with the windows open 24/7. It's so glaringly obvious.

There was a similar scheme in England also but someone had the sense to put a cost cap on it to stop people taking advantage of it.
Original post by JamesN88
We're getting in the spirit to celebrate those new Saudi arms deals. :smile:

If all the Irish terrorists fought the Muslim ones that would be great :rofl:
Nope, it would be a repeat as per usual, with any/every party. Who knows what would happen, but I think the most likely outcome is either the Tories or Labour will secure a majority were a second election to be called. Tories would run a better campaign (maybe even with a new leader) and thus reclaim lost confidence/support, or Labour could be galvanised further and sweep to further success (Especially as now people have realised that Corbyn..well can lead an extremely effective campaign).

For reference, this exact situation, a minority government followed by a second election, happened in the 70s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_February_1974 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_October_1974

As you can see, in the first, neither Labour or Tory won a majority. Labour tried to govern in minority, second election occurred, and they secured a majority (albeit a small one).

That makes sense, tbh her campaign was very poor and took people for granted
and yeh i was revising that today for history (britain 1951 to 2007) but i feel like that isnt the exact same just cos it was a minority, the personalities and campaigns of the leaders were different than today and you didnt have parties like the greens and ukip taking votes, not that either of them took many but still and elections nowadays seem to be more like a reality tv show tbh :redface: people are so easily influenced by stuff on social media
Original post by CoolCavy
That makes sense, tbh her campaign was very poor and took people for granted
and yeh i was revising that today for history (britain 1951 to 2007) but i feel like that isnt the exact same just cos it was a minority, the personalities and campaigns of the leaders were different than today and you didnt have parties like the greens and ukip taking votes, not that either of them took many but still and elections nowadays seem to be more like a reality tv show tbh :redface: people are so easily influenced by stuff on social media

As we saw in this election, it was a return to 2 party politics. LAb/Tory each polled above 40% of the vote, which hasn't happened since the 70s (1970 in fact), so one can argue that the influence of the minor parties is diminishing. As for social media influencing people, that's to be expected given we do live in the age of it!
As we saw in this election, it was a return to 2 party politics. LAb/Tory each polled above 40% of the vote, which hasn't happened since the 70s (1970 in fact), so one can argue that the influence of the minor parties is diminishing. As for social media influencing people, that's to be expected given we do live in the age of it!

that is a true point, tbh i wish it wasn't cos it's the choice of 2 extremes really
and that's true but what i mean is at the time in the 1970s there wasn't all this social media so people were less idk impressionable i guess? whereas now ive seen my friends change their vote just cos their friend 'shares' something with them which kind of makes the result for a second election more changeable? idk if that made sense lol :redface:
When the Brexit is extra hard

Original post by Rock Fan

Experience of other small majorities (51, 64, 74, 15) suggests anywhere from a few months to two years. The fact it is not a proper coalition suggests that the intent is to go for a second election, probably once a new leader is elected/selected.

It's entirely possible that the next leader is selected only to handle Brexit and then we see a proper leadership election in the summer of 2019 with perhaps even a third election.

It's certainly not designed to last.

Original post by Airmed
I think I may need to stock up on my popcorn cause this is going to be a show and a half!

The Scottish experience of SNP with confidence and supply from the Greens suggests that with a hostile parliament (Farron and Vince will be none too pleased given their results) the show will be very boring. Since being elected in 2016 the SNP have failed to pass pretty much any bill outside of the budget.

We won't reach the end of the year with this arrangement. Banking on another election in the Autumn.

I'm curious to know now what the Tories gave up in exchange for the DUP support.

The fact that May let her advisors go suggests (assuming she's not incredibly weak) that she intends to resign. In theory as long candidates drop out before facing the Conservative Party members we could have a leadership election in July and an election announced a month beforehand in September for an October election.

The experience of elections within two years (51, 66, 74, 17) suggests that although the incumbent gains vote share, in 2 elections the incumbent lost seats while in 2 they rose (one small majority, one solid majority).

The price was probably money, schools, hospitals and the like.
Reply 34
Original post by CoolCavy
Best get married quick then

No not another one :cry2: it was hard enough to make up my mind the first time
Would it be between fewer parties tho? Cos otherwise won't the same thing happen again?:redface:

The same parties would technically be involved, but some of the smaller ones might decide not to field candidates in places to increase the chance that one of the main parties gets a majority.
Reply 35
It's appauling, not only questionable and hypocritical aspects of this partnership but because it destabilises the peace process. They've got to go.
To be fair, Theresa May did warn us that if she lost her majority, we'd have a coalition of chaos propped up by terrorist sympathisers. Nice to see a politician delivering on their promise for once.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
To be fair, Theresa May did warn us that if she lost her majority, we'd have a coalition of chaos propped up by terrorist sympathisers. Nice to see a politician delivering on their promise for once.

:lol:
Reply 38
There's a lot worse on the backbenches of the mainstream parties (and the front bench of one of them!). But let's not make the DUP a caricature: it has a woman leader when Labour and the Lib Dems never have, it supported the Northern Ireland version of the Turing Law providing pardons for people convicted of homosexual offences in the past. It was wrong to appoint a climate change denier as energy minister in Northern Ireland, certainly, but to present them as somehow beyond the pale (particularly given the state of the Labour Party) is bizarre.
Reply 39
Original post by L i b
There's a lot worse on the backbenches of the mainstream parties (and the front bench of one of them!). But let's not make the DUP a caricature: it has a woman leader when Labour and the Lib Dems never have, it supported the Northern Ireland version of the Turing Law providing pardons for people convicted of homosexual offences in the past. It was wrong to appoint a climate change denier as energy minister in Northern Ireland, certainly, but to present them as somehow beyond the pale (particularly given the state of the Labour Party) is bizarre.

By definition, Northern Ireland *is* beyond The Pale. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending