The Student Room Group

Huge fire engulfs Latimer Road tower block in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monkeyman0121
Someone's fridge caught fire. I don't know how that would work but ok. It is horrible and shows the downside of building upwards.

Fridge Freezers are the most common cause of electrical fires. Switch contacts burn out resulting in a small fire that catches the plastic and foam insulation. The fire spreads to the hydrocarbon based coolant which is highly flammable and pressurised causing a small explosion, spreading flammable material which than ignites other materials in the vicinity. Chip board/wood kitchen units, wooden flooring, etc.

Beko and other cheap brands are common culprits.

I know of hardly anyone that keeps a fire blanket or extinguishers in their home.

Fire regulations used to require kitchens in flats to have an intumescent fire door kept closed at all times. Looking at estate agents floor plans, many flats in the Grenfell building were bought privately and renovated internally to a fashionable modern 'open plan' layout then rented out at upwards of £2000 pcm for a two bedroom one bathroom residence.

At those potential rental incomes, no doubt sub-letting was common.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It isn't the cladding as such that is flammable - it depends on the material used inside it.

The issue would have been cost, but they worked within the budget assigned to them by the Tory council. Clearly this was insufficient.

Did you see that cladding burn?

That isn't how service charge budgets work. They are calculated based on the required PPMs for the year with some wiggle room for unexpected costs. The fire system maintenance is a fixed cost and would come directly out of the service charge.

It is unlikely that the council had much input on the service charge rate. Stop trying to make this about blaming the tories, it is pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uberteknik
Fridge Freezers are the most common cause of electrical fires. Switch contacts burn out resulting in a small fire that catches the plastic and foam insulation. The fire spreads to the hydrocarbon based coolant which is highly flammable and pressurised causing a small explosion, spreading flammable material which than ignites other materials in the vicinity. Chip board/wood kitchen units, wooden flooring, etc.

Beko and other cheap brands are common.

I know of hardly anyone that keeps a fire blanket or extinguishers in their home.

Thanks for the insight. You learn something new every day. :biggrin:
Theresa May's Chief of Staff refused to implement change in building regs to make sprinkler systems compulsory in tall buildings.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4602672/May-adviser-failied-act-warnings-tower-fire.html

#austeritymania
I'm sure the many poor families who live there could have afforded an increase to help rectify the shortfall in local authority spending.

I am sure they could and should but give them and representatives like them the choice and they would rather spent it on food or rent or electricity or children's' toys or travel or any of the myriad other costs that bear down upon anyone short of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
I am sure they could and should but give them and representatives like them the choice and they would rather spent it on food or rent or electricity or children's' toys or travel or any of the myriad other costs that bear down upon anyone short of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a variant on the theory of the undeserving poor to me.
:frown:. A terrible tragedy. May they rest in peace. Much respect to our Emergency services and local people, real heroes.
Sounds like a variant on the theory of the undeserving poor to me.

sounds like nulli's positing a tragedy of the commons / tyranny of small decisions chain of events eventually leading to the creation of a deathtrap.
It makes sense that poor people are going to avoid additional expense but TBH everyone including the well off can always find a reason not to pony up their fair share, I've seen unadopted roads with 2 range rovers on every drive where the road surface is a third world grade pothole festival which no one's taken the slightest effort to repair for years.

---
My uninformed speculation is that the cladding is at fault... the safety case for buildings of this type (60's tower blocks) is that the dwellings are fireproof concrete boxes which fire will not spread between if the door is closed. IMO it must have worked since it's inconceivable that chip pan fires didn't occur in these buildings during the decades before chip pans were replaced by thermostatic fryers, without the whole block going up in flames.

Over the past decade or so I've noticed cladding rapidly appearing on old tower blocks all over the country, it clearly became quite an industry - I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of grant or subsidy involved. I wonder if we're about to see all that cladding being removed equally rapidly.
Original post by Joinedup
sounds like nulli's positing a tragedy of the commons / tyranny of small decisions chain of events eventually leading to the creation of a deathtrap.
It makes sense that poor people are going to avoid additional expense but TBH everyone including the well off can always find a reason not to pony up their fair share, I've seen unadopted roads with 2 range rovers on every drive where the road surface is a third world grade pothole festival which no one's taken the slightest effort to repair for years.

---
My uninformed speculation is that the cladding is at fault... the safety case for buildings of this type (60's tower blocks) is that the dwellings are fireproof concrete boxes which fire will not spread between if the door is closed. IMO it must have worked since it's inconceivable that chip pan fires didn't occur in these buildings during the decades before chip pans were replaced by thermostatic fryers, without the whole block going up in flames.

Over the past decade or so I've noticed cladding rapidly appearing on old tower blocks all over the country, it clearly became quite an industry - I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of grant or subsidy involved. I wonder if we're about to see all that cladding being removed equally rapidly.

Thank you.

I will return today to my 1970s office building clad a few years ago with some sort of aluminium cladding wondering whether it has become a death trap or a money pit and knowing that if there is a problem I am going to have to be writing a cheque. Fortunately we are low rise but I feel a fire drill coming on for my own peace of mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joinedup

The flats aren't concrete boxes. The building will use a steel surrounded by concrete. The actual flats will have insulated plasterboard walls.

I did see an interview with a contractor saying that there were no fire breaks in the walls between floors where the pipes and cables run. If this is true then it would have been almost impossible to contain the fire.

I believe that it was probably an electrical fire given the age of building.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is such a tragic event, although when something like this happens it shows how generous people are, i'm from Essex, so near by, but far enough for people to feel like it's not happened on their door step, yet there is still collection points being started by ever local council for donations to the victims who have been affected by the fire and have literally nothing!
They need to start suing where there is blame there is a claim.
Original post by karl pilkington
They need to start suing where there is blame there is a claim.
Unfortunately, compensation is big business - and the people caught up in this have every right to expect justice.

However, I expect some unscrupulous claims companies seeking 'justice' will have already started contacting residents.

You can be sure that quite a few lawyers (not to mention building contractors) are going to make an awful lot of money out of this for a long time to come.

And it will be the taxpayer who ends up footing the great majority of the bill.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Unfortunately, compensation is big business - and the people caught up in this have every right to expect justice.

However, I expect some unscrupulous claims companies seeking 'justice' will have already started contacting residents.

You can be sure that quite a few lawyers (not to mention building contractors) are going to make an awful lot of money out of this for a long time to come.

And it will be the taxpayer who ends up footing the great majority of the bill.

That is the fault of the government. They don't see that cutting things in the long run only becomes more expensive they should have invested more heavily in social housing,
Reply 94
Original post by Dodgypirate
And here you are politicising a fire.

Delete your account.

Are you dumb? I can't delete a ts account
"A baby was caught being dropped to safety from a tower."

wow that is a horrible ****ing shame, I'm so sorry for all those people

Normally I am heartless but that does NOT look good. Smh. And it terrifies me as I live in shared property as well and you never know.
I get lowkey anxious when I know my neighbors smoke and that because all it takes is dropping a cigarette or something.

smh that's a shame.
you know what.

judging by the types of people living in that flat (foreigners, black people, Muslims) and the rise of gentrification in London...

I mean...you know what they're gonna do now right...?

Build a beautiful expensive condo right there. And the displaced survivors of the burnt tower block won't be able to afford to live there again?

Not saying that was the plan.
Original post by Meany Pie

I believe that it was probably an electrical fire given the age of building.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, slumlords. Letting the place rot to pieces. It happens. I work as a pest exterminator :rofl: but I visit infested and damaged homes and it's a shame to see how landlords let the place get, till the place just collapses on their heads, and they move them out, renovate for richer people to live in.
Can we not have the xenophobic and racist bull **** in a thread about a horrific disaster?
Original post by PQ
Can we not have the xenophobic and racist bull **** in a thread about a horrific disaster?

Agreed. Have cleared out the nonsense. No need for it here (Obviously).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending