The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Just finished First Year in Uni of Bath - ask me anything and I'll try to help out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr Gin
Hello Anton

Can you tell me how the Quads flat/room numbers work?

If you are in QA 5.11 is that Quads Acer Flat 5 room 11 or Flat 11 room 5?

Thanks!

QA 3.11 means Quads Acer, floor 3, room 11. The floors are numbered American style (1-5, where Floor 1 = Ground Floor) and the flats are roughly divided rooms 1-7, rooms 8-14, rooms 15-21 although there is some flexing on this between the different Quads. In practice you'll get to know and spent time with everyone on your floor and perhaps some on the other floors in your block too.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hi there,
What's the university's policy on student cars? I don't want to be paying insurance on my car meanwhile i'm basically not driving it all year.
Cheers
Original post by WhatAreFrogs?
Hi there,
What's the university's policy on student cars? I don't want to be paying insurance on my car meanwhile i'm basically not driving it all year.
Cheers

Please see
http://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/students-eligible-for-parking-permits
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/parking-permits-for-students

In short, you may not park a car on university property or on City of Bath public roads as an undergraduate student unless (a) you live significantly far outside Bath [not a BA1 or BA2 postcode] or (b) you have a medical condition or other exceptional circumstance which means you need a car.

In essence, if you're living in a university accommodation block, no car allowed. If you're in second year and above, and very much want to bring a car, you need to live somewhere out of town (e.g. Combe Down) with private off-road parking.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Original post by President Snow
Please see
http://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/students-eligible-for-parking-permits
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/parking-permits-for-students

In short, you may not park a car on university property or on City of Bath public roads as an undergraduate student unless (a) you live significantly far outside Bath [not a BA1 or BA2 postcode] or (b) you have a medical condition or other exceptional circumstance which means you need a car.

In essence, if you're living in a university accommodation block, no car allowed. If you're in second year and above, and very much want to bring a car, you need to live somewhere out of town (e.g. Combe Down) with private off-road parking.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Ok thanks a lot, I'll have to find some way of getting my stuff down then aha
Original post by Oore
What was it like living In the Quads and what do you think the best accommodation is

Quads was amazing! I personally do think that Quads is the best accommodation, you get pretty much brand new rooms, everything is super clean, nothing is leaking/broken, kitchen and the lounge area are peng as well. Tbf, it's one of the pricier accommodations, but you get 27.5 quid on your library card for food per week, so when you take that into account, it's actually alright I think. I find the lounge area and the TV there to be great when it comes to social gatherings, if it's things like pres before clubbing or just chilling with friends. Other accommodations don't have that kind of luxury, they have to use their kitchen for pres, which I mean still works obviously, but I would imagine people would like to have a separate social gathering area.(most other accommodations don't have TVs in their lounge as well, let alone their rooms)
My recomendations for your accommodation choices are: Quads, Solsbury, Woodland. The fourth one would have to be Eastwood/Westwood i would say, but I strongly advise against going for Polden and Norwood. Polden is very pricy and is **** knows where, like I literally thought I had walked to Bristol by the time I got to Polden from the library smh. And Norwood is right above the Students' Union and The Plug&Tub, so it's always noisy af.
Hope that helps, keep asking questions!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey I'll be going to Bath for maths this year!!!!!

Do you have any opinion on what the nightlife is like? I know that the SU has a bar and it also functions as a nightclub sometimes, is that any good? Do you and the people you know go out very often or not really and do you have any preferred places? Thanks :smile:
Hey which Fresher wristband/ticket should I get? I know there is the Ice breaker, complete student and the SU.
Original post by MKaur18
Shall i redo c1&2 maths while doing A2 maths (c3,4,m1)??? Is it rly worth it for a few more marks to bump me up to the next grade? How easy is it in comparison?!

If you are aiming to get an A* in maths, hopefully you know that you need 80% average in c1, c2 and m1; then you need 90% average between c3 and c4. c1 and c2 will be a lot easier after c3 and c4, like insanely easy. But here's the catch - you will be thinking 'c1, c2 and m1 are so easy, I'll just do a paper before the exam and I'm sorted', which is not a great idea. The modules obviously consist of different topics, which you do need to practice as well, even though they are a lot easier than the topics in c3 and c4. So I'd say yeah - go the extra mile if you don't have those 80% in c12 and m1, but you'll be spending a lot more time on c3 and c4 because they are levels above the other three modules. You'll thank yourself for putting in the effort.
Here's my story with c3 and c4 - in my AS year i managed to get like 81% in c3 and completely messed up c4, like 64% I think. If you look at the numbers, I needed 99% and nothing less in c4 if I were to get an A*. But i thought that it would be pretty difficult to do that, so instead I decided to retake c3 as well. In the end I got 100% c3 and 94% c4, so as you see, if I didn't retake c3, I wouldn't have gotten an A*!
But my biggest advice would be that you sit down and actually bust your ass off learning this year. You can miss that party that you really wanted to go to, or skip that practice with your team, it's no biggie. If you don't get the grades you wanted and miss your uni offer - now that's a biggie. I'm not saying not to have fun, but if you really want to succeed, you gotta grind.
Good luck, keep asking questions! Always happy to help!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FusionNetworks
Hey which Fresher wristband/ticket should I get? I know there is the Ice breaker, complete student and the SU.

I think it really depends on the kind of party animal you are haha. Personally, I didn't have a wristband and spent most of my time partying in the bubble tent, which you did not require a wrist band for. You can buy a ticket at the door for the events every night, so maybe do that if you don't want to pay for the whole wristband?
Plus, some sports teams have trials early mornings, like my tennis trials were at 7 am, so I had an early night the day before.
But best thing to do is, I reckon, try to find your flatmates on Facebook, or on these forums. There should be a Bath Freshers page on Facebook, or even pages for your particular accommodation. Then ask them what they are getting and all of you can have fun together - it's not cool if all of you branch off and do your own thing and by the end of Freshers' week you don't even know who they are.
But make sure to get to the main stage on Toga Night (if it's on), so queue up to get your ticket at the door! Best night by far.
Have fun and welcome to our uni!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Strom
Hey I'll be going to Bath for maths this year!!!!!

Do you have any opinion on what the nightlife is like? I know that the SU has a bar and it also functions as a nightclub sometimes, is that any good? Do you and the people you know go out very often or not really and do you have any preferred places? Thanks :smile:

Hey, great to hear! Prepare for maths as well, and MatLab, that's a real pain haha
Nightlife: the SU provides a night out on Wednesdays called Score, which is for Sports teams - every week the teams will dress up as something and go get wasted together. If you are not into sports you can get in by asking a sporty friend to get you a ticket. I've only gone to Score once, I like to be functional on Thursday morning so prefer not to go out then haha. They also do Klass, which is on Saturdays. The music that they play at both is charts/house/hits. Sometimes you have big DJs as well, Alex Ross came once.
In town, you have a choice - Second Bridge (Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays(just go to Klass on Saturdays though), charts/house/hits/remixes/rap and grime in the other area of the club), PoNaNa's (Tuesdays and Fridays, charts/rock/alternative rock(think Arctic Monkeys, Queen, The Killers, The Proclaimers, that kind of stuff)), ZeroZero (not sure which night anymore because they changed it this summer I believe, was Wednesday, charts/house/rap and grime), Moles (Tuesdays, cheesy music, like the cheesiest stuff you can imagine, I hate this place with a passion because of the music), Khassosi's (Thursdays apparently, never been out on a Thursday and never been to this place, don't even know how to spell it, let alone pronounce it). These are your top choices for every day.
Personal favourites - Second Bridge and PoNaNa's. We go out once a week usually, sometimes 2, given that you don't have any other commitments (like sports or work that you have to do/catch up on). But people usually get all their work done so that they can go out haha.
Happy partying! Maybe I'll see you at Bridge on a Friday?
Original post by Dr Gin
Hello Anton

Can you tell me how the Quads flat/room numbers work?

If you are in QA 5.11 is that Quads Acer Flat 5 room 11 or Flat 11 room 5?

Thanks!

Yeah so you'll be on the fifth floor in room 11 in Quads Acer. Your floor will have 4 corridors, about 40 rooms on the whole floor. The building has a lock which you open with your library card, then your corridor will have one as well. In your corridor, you'll have 9 other people, with whom you'll be sharing a kitchen. With the adjacent corridor, you'll share the lounge area, so that is divided *nice maths well done me* between 20 people. You can get into the adjacent corridor from your corridor through the lounge without a library card. I found that I spent the most time with these 20 people, the two corridors which shared a lounge area.
QA 5.11 is almost exactly above mine as well aha.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anton MechEng
Hey, great to hear! Prepare for maths as well, and MatLab, that's a real pain haha
Nightlife: the SU provides a night out on Wednesdays called Score, which is for Sports teams - every week the teams will dress up as something and go get wasted together. If you are not into sports you can get in by asking a sporty friend to get you a ticket. I've only gone to Score once, I like to be functional on Thursday morning so prefer not to go out then haha. They also do Klass, which is on Saturdays. The music that they play at both is charts/house/hits. Sometimes you have big DJs as well, Alex Ross came once.
In town, you have a choice - Second Bridge (Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays(just go to Klass on Saturdays though), charts/house/hits/remixes/rap and grime in the other area of the club), PoNaNa's (Tuesdays and Fridays, charts/rock/alternative rock(think Arctic Monkeys, Queen, The Killers, The Proclaimers, that kind of stuff)), ZeroZero (not sure which night anymore because they changed it this summer I believe, was Wednesday, charts/house/rap and grime), Moles (Tuesdays, cheesy music, like the cheesiest stuff you can imagine, I hate this place with a passion because of the music), Khassosi's (Thursdays apparently, never been out on a Thursday and never been to this place, don't even know how to spell it, let alone pronounce it). These are your top choices for every day.
Personal favourites - Second Bridge and PoNaNa's. We go out once a week usually, sometimes 2, given that you don't have any other commitments (like sports or work that you have to do/catch up on). But people usually get all their work done so that they can go out haha.
Happy partying! Maybe I'll see you at Bridge on a Friday?

Thank you so much for the extensive answer I'm definitely writing all this down haha!!!!!! (yeah I'll see you there!)
Original post by Strom
Thank you so much for the extensive answer I'm definitely writing all this down haha!!!!!! (yeah I'll see you there!)

Haha yeah no worries my g x
Original post by FusionNetworks

To elaborate. I would only suggest getting the official SU one. The others like Ice Breaker are 3rd party ones. A lot of those companies are a bit dodgy and will pretend they are SU wristbands. You'll find nearly everyone gets the SU one and goes to the huge arena. Careful getting 3rd party ones as you may have no one to go with. Official SU band information will be released soon.
What are the tests/exams like (for Maths if you can)? Is it like A-Level test style where there is a mathematical problem and you answer it? Also how many questions per paper/total marks? Thanks.
Original post by Anton MechEng
Title says all really. I just finished my first year in Uni of Bath 3 weeks ago and feel like I could help people out! So ask me anything, I'll try to answer.
A bit of background I suppose: I'm doing Mechanical and Automotive Engineering with a placement year, lived on campus in the glorious Quads Acer, but I've seen pretty much all of the accommodations. Am also an international student, but I've done GCSEs and A-levels in the UK.
Fire away!

Is shared accommodation ok? With a maintenance loan of £4000 I'm really struggling because I would never expect my parents to foot the bill, and I can only work the hours I can! It has just dawned on me that I don't think I'll actually be able to afford going to uni. I've always wanted to go to Bath university before finances even crossed my mind and they do provide the cheapest accommodation I have seen. I'm totally fine with self-catered but I'm just not sure about the shared room, and at the moment the cost of the shared room is the only thing that's appealing to me! :frown: Opinions? Thanks in advance!
Original post by TheUnknownKnown
What are the tests/exams like (for Maths if you can)? Is it like A-Level test style where there is a mathematical problem and you answer it? Also how many questions per paper/total marks? Thanks.

Hi there,

Answering specifically for mathematics - unsurprisingly it varies slightly on the module you are taking. You take five modules per semester, with the exams for each module generally following a similar structure year on year (or at least any planned changes will be clearly explained to you in advance). In general every course will have five years of past papers & complete worked solutions freely available for students to revise from. Most maths exams are 2 hours long. However, the structure of the exams are set individually by each lecturer so vary slightly from module to module, but generally work to the same guidelines.

In general you usually have some degree to choice: "given four questions answer any three" or "answer all of section A and two of three questions from section B", something like that.

The questions are usually long and broken down into subsections, e.g. Q1 (a), (b) i, ii, iii, (c), (d) i, ii, something like that.

Questions generally start off with some simple definitions (relevant to the question) - making up about 40% of the exam by marks in total [N.B. 40% is minimum score needed to pass, 70% is minimum score needed to get a 1st].

So you might be asked to "Define the norm of a vector v a member of V an Inner Product Space (IPS)", or "Define the term injective map", "Write down what it means for a series to be conditionally convergent", "State the Bolzano-Weirestrass Theorem", for roughly 40% of the marks on the exam.

You'll have a couple of pages of key definitions and theorems to commit to memory for each course. Learn them as you go along and as soon as practically possible - I cannot stress this enough.

For the next roughly 25% of the exam, you are asked to apply the theorems and definitions. For the most part fairly set methods which have usually come up in previous past papers or have been otherwise covered in lectures. Perhaps you might be given a specific series, or a specific matrix, or a specific function, and asked to apply the general theorem on this specific case & come out with a numerical answer.

For the next roughly 15% of the exam you'll be asked to recite set proofs from memory. The proofs of key theorems or important results. Sometimes verbatim, sometimes a close variant on something you've covered in class. Again, more memorisation, but more tricky memorisation.

For the final 20% of the exam - unseen content. Whatever the lecturer decides to throw at you: anything's fair game. A test of problem solving and your true mathematical grit.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions about maths at Bath.

Richard
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Indiaa99
Is shared accommodation ok? With a maintenance loan of £4000 I'm really struggling because I would never expect my parents to foot the bill, and I can only work the hours I can! It has just dawned on me that I don't think I'll actually be able to afford going to uni. I've always wanted to go to Bath university before finances even crossed my mind and they do provide the cheapest accommodation I have seen. I'm totally fine with self-catered but I'm just not sure about the shared room, and at the moment the cost of the shared room is the only thing that's appealing to me! :frown: Opinions? Thanks in advance!

I lived in a shared room in school when I did my GCSEs, it's genuinely alright. You just need to make sure you get along with your roommate, if you have any friction with that person it means that any time you spend in your room (even flat) can be unpleasant all the way to horrible. If you're sharing your room with someone, the most important thing is that the person is clean - and I mean clean, not tidy. You don't want the person to throw their dirty laundry on the floor and make the whole room smelly, or keep rotting bits of food in the room. But 95% of people that lived in my boarding school were clean and tidy, which is great! Then you would want the person to respect the fact that he/she has a roommate - so that he/she doesn't play loud music in the middle of the night, have all of his 294 friends over when you're trying to do work and so on.
Don't let finances discourage you from achieving one of your goals - studying at University of Bath! Don't know how long you have until it's time for uni, but there's plenty of student jobs that you can do to save up some money to pay for accommodation until then. You can even work in Bath during your time here to get that extra cash you need - something which a lot of students do. Plus that's great to put on your CV, that you have some sort of work experience.If it's really difficult, which I hope it won't be, you can opt for a gap year. You can apply to University for a delayed entry I think it's called, and explain the reason you are taking your gap year. 'To get money to pay for accommodation' is a great argument to take a gap year, just make sure you actually work that year, as lots of people just decide to have fun and nothing else.But trust me, absolutely nothing bad about a shared room. It's great fun and most probably your roommate will be a nice one, as long as you are nice to him. Good luck! Keep asking questions!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by President Snow
-

Thanks for the detailed response. Following your final point about the unseen content, what does unseen content mean? Is it about answering questions not styled like that before, answering a question that's not appeared in previous(but isn't this just the test as a whole?) or answering questions using unknown techniques(is this possible?)
Thanks.
Original post by TheUnknownKnown

The easiest answer to your question is to look at the past papers here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/library/exampapers/

Quick Reply

Latest