The Student Room Group

Biomedical science work experience

I'm year 12, studying bio, chem, Phys, Spanish, and Welsh bacc, and I want to pursue a degree in biomedical science in Oxford or bath. I'm in a meds/dents/vets academic program at college and whilst it does help me build my academic profile, it's not helping me find biomed experience. What sort of places could I apply to in order to get this, or should I get medicine work experience instead?
Original post by Jasmineh0107
I'm year 12, studying bio, chem, Phys, Spanish, and Welsh bacc, and I want to pursue a degree in biomedical science in Oxford or bath. I'm in a meds/dents/vets academic program at college and whilst it does help me build my academic profile, it's not helping me find biomed experience. What sort of places could I apply to in order to get this, or should I get medicine work experience instead?

Hey @Jasmineh0107 👋

I'd recommend seeing if you can get in contact with your local hospital. Check if they have a pathology department where they process patient samples. It can't hurt to email and ask if they would take you on for some voluntary work experience, or at the very least ask if they could give you a tour of the labs so you can see if it's definitely something you would like to do as a career.

I'm on my applied biomed placement year at the moment. If you are interested in working as a Biomedical scientist for the NHS then an IBMS accredited Biomedical science degree is a must, and a degree with a placement year gives invaluable experience. I've done my first 2 years of uni, now the placement year and then I'll go back to uni to complete the final year of the degree.

During my placement year I have to complete a portfolio while working in a hospital lab. I chose the cellular/histopathology department. Once I've completed the portfolio, my placement year and finished my degree, then I can apply to the HCPC and I'd be fully qualified to work as a Biomedical scientist.

Other routes without a placement year: you can try and get a job as a medical lab assistant after your degree, in a hospital that can accommodate the portfolio training. Either way, the portfolio is essential to become a Biomedical scientist.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending