The Student Room Group

17 year old Muslim girl abducted and murdered outside a mosque in Virginia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Who is trying to downplay it? Its a murder and they are investigating.

Exactly. It's a murder - nothing more, nothing less. I can't downplay something that has no evidence of being a hate crime in the first place.
Who is trying to downplay it? Its a murder and they are investigating.

immediately shifting the focus from the actual murder to the fact that it wasn't a hate crime, (which is what order is doing) spawns petty arguments that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual event.
Reply 42
Original post by GuessWhozBack
Whites are abducted, raped and murdered all time. Specially in multicultural land Sweden.

Look at this poor Swede girl I found her crime scene photos on a Japan sites, who were warning against multiculturalism in Japan LOL

Spoiler

sounds like a trustworthy source
Original post by orderofthelotus
Exactly. It's a murder - nothing more, nothing less. I can't downplay something that has no evidence of being a hate crime in the first place.

Whilst that does hold true and it may not have been a 'hate crime'.
We can't be ignorant of the double standards that exist in the media;
Even if it wasn't a 'hate crime' or whatever, but the perpetrator looked stereo-typically Muslim, FOX and CNN would be all over it.
It would be written in the clouds that a 'Muslim man has raped and killed some innocent girl'.

I just think its unfair to play Politics right now, couldn't bare to think what happened to her before he killed her, what a horrific way to go.
Thoughts and prayers will be for her, her family and also the Muslims hurt today in London.

No evidence yet. People are getting wound up on a tweet which in fact was inaccurate.

Actually when you say nothing more, then the fact is they dont know until they have completed an investigations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by babsxox
immediately shifting the focus from the actual murder to the fact that it wasn't a hate crime, (which is what order is doing) spawns petty arguments that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual event.

Dunno I just read the articles. It may or may not be religiously motivated, but they cnat push forward and charge until they have evidence and thats going to come with the investigation. Im not sure there is an actual hate crime in this instance and it might just be plain old murder with additional religious motive.

The US is a big and dangerous place anyway with c 45 homicides a day.
Original post by BigBadAsh
Whilst that does hold true and it may not have been a 'hate crime'.
We can't be ignorant of the double standards that exist in the media;
Even if it wasn't a 'hate crime' or whatever, but the perpetrator looked stereo-typically Muslim, FOX and CNN would be all over it.
It would be written in the clouds that a 'Muslim man has raped and killed some innocent girl'.

I just think its unfair to play Politics right now, couldn't bare to think what happened to her before he killed her, what a horrific way to go.
Thoughts and prayers will be for her, her family and also the Muslims hurt today in London.

What are the double standards in this case?
Original post by babsxox

Which is what I was doing? Dialogue about whether or not it was a hate crime is in the OP. It's unfair to blame me for it.

Though, I understand your reasons - you want it to be about Muslims, don't you? Otherwise I don't see why you would be coming for me and not the OP.

Don't use me to pretend you're on some moral high ground.
(edited 6 years ago)
What are the double standards in this case?

I'm not saying there is in this specific case, if you read, you can clearly see I also agree it wasn't a hate crime - it was coincidental she was Muslim.

But I'm saying, in the hypothetical situation, where if the perpetrator was a Muslim, it would undeniably be treated so differently.
I'm not saying there is in this specific case, if you read, you can clearly see I also agree it wasn't a hate crime - it was coincidental she was Muslim.

But I'm saying, in the hypothetical situation, where if the perpetrator was a Muslim, it would undeniably be treated so differently.

I havent said there was or wasnt. the point is they know its a murder and when they have completed their investigation then they may yet find a hate element. They might he had a background and went looking for Muslims or he was just volatile and they got into an argument.

You will have to provide actual examples of where it was treated differently and preferably in the UK.
I havent said there was or wasnt. the point is they know its a murder and when they have completed their investigation then they may yet find a hate element. They might he had a background and went looking for Muslims or he was just volatile and they got into an argument.

You will have to provide actual examples of where it was treated differently and preferably in the UK.

Are you seriously denying the fact Muslims are treated completely different by the media? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you seriously denying the fact Muslims are treated completely different by the media? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im askingyou to back up your claim and give examples of UK murders involving a Muslim and show how they have been treated differently.

Using emoticons does not add to your argument it just makes you look childish.
Im askingyou to back up your claim and give examples of UK murders involving a Muslim and show how they have been treated differently.

I did not once claim there was examples existent in the UK. why are you so hellbent on UK examples? This was a case in the US, Media Bias is not restricted to the UK...

You don't have to look further than today, before the BBC, Telegraph and many other swiftly changed the headlines post social-media outcry from 'Man in a van attacks locals in Finsbury Park' to 'Terror Attack', despite multiple witnesses hearing the bloke screaming 'I want to kill all Muslims'.

My point simply was that there is a bias against Muslims from major media outlets, whether it's Fox News claiming Anjem Choudhary to be the 'Islamic Leader' or Birmingham to being a 'Muslim-Only City'; there's an abundance of evidence of it, and I'll gladly link you to a couple:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 53
I guess.

Yeah it's just a shame that events like these, even when the sole religion itself has little relevance, are projected as directly linked to Islamic ideology, so as to blame the religion for the actions of such degenerates
I did not once claim there was examples existent in the UK. why are you so hellbent on UK examples? This was a case in the US, Media Bias is not restricted to the UK...

You don't have to look further than today, before the BBC, Telegraph and many other swiftly changed the headlines post social-media outcry from 'Man in a van attacks locals in Finsbury Park' to 'Terror Attack', despite multiple witnesses hearing the bloke screaming 'I want to kill all Muslims'.

My point simply was that there is a bias against Muslims from major media outlets, whether it's Fox News claiming Anjem Choudhary to be the 'Islamic Leader' or Birmingham to being a 'Muslim-Only City'; there's an abundance of evidence of it, and I'll gladly link you to a couple:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe because im from the UK so funnily enough what happens in this country I find more relevant..

You are o intent on being a victim. i didnt find anything wrong with the beebs reporting other than some complaints it wasnt 24 hour everywhere, when in fact they have a rolling news channel it it was the lead story.

The death of Lee Rigby was treated as murder despite being religiously motivated. the Leytonstone tube attacker despite making political outcries was classed as murder.

This person will probably just be treated as murder but you seem to want something else and wont be satisfied whatever the outcome.
Reply 55

Spoiler

Spoiler

Didn't the Dailymail originally publish an article referring to the man as a "clean-shaven white man" and the mosque specifically as the place where Abu Hamza used to preach, rather than acknowledging it's attempts in reforming and clearing the poor image set by him. Or even just calling it a mosque lmao why should he take away from the fact that this was a terrorist attack on a place of worship for hundreds of people
Original post by iras
didn't the dailymail originally publish an article referring to the man as a "clean-shaven white man" and the mosque specifically as the place where abu hamza used to preach, rather than acknowledging it's attempts in reforming and clearing the poor image set by him. Or even just calling it a mosque lmao why should he take away from the fact that this was a terrorist attack on a place of worship for hundreds of people

thank you!
Original post by iras
Yeah it's just a shame that events like these, even when the sole religion itself has little relevance, are projected as directly linked to Islamic ideology, so as to blame the religion for the actions of such degenerates

I mean. Discussion can be constructive if relevant arguments can be made between Islamic ideology and doctrine and the event in question. Often, they are.
Original post by iras
Didn't the Dailymail originally publish an article referring to the man as a "clean-shaven white man" and the mosque specifically as the place where Abu Hamza used to preach, rather than acknowledging it's attempts in reforming and clearing the poor image set by him. Or even just calling it a mosque lmao why should he take away from the fact that this was a terrorist attack on a place of worship for hundreds of people

I havent seen it?
Was he in fact a clean shaven white man?

Is the mosque famous and what for? Its the only Mosque I know by reputation for Abu Hamza, ,Al Muhajiroun the 7/7 bombers and Richard Reid. It isnt just any mosque, so to pretend it is would be ridiculous. We will find out in the trial but he didnt drive all the way from Wales and choose that mosque at random. Once it was known the authorities were treating it as a terrorist attack. It was probably chosen by the person exactly because of its history and reputation with extremism.

I dont see the issue. It doesnt make a difference to the fact it was a terrorist attack/ murder on innocent people. Didnt make the slightest bit of difference when I heard about the story this morning.
Original post by Adnan762
Disgusting beyond words. One can only imagine what the poor girl's family is going through :frown:

The problem we have is a vicious circle of hatred, i.e. acts of terorrism are being countered by other acts of terrorism and hate crimes.

The only way we can stop it is if we enocurage communities to come together and for leaders to openly denounce hatred and reinforce the values we so proudly uphold. In other words, we need to show that hatred has no place in our world.

And let's hope and pray for peace and resolve in our communities and no more atrocities like this or any of the terror attacks that have shaken our world in recent times. :redface:

As of this time there is no evidence that this was a hate crime or motivated by anything political.

Muslims can be murdered for the same reasons anybody else can. Statistically speaking, if a Muslim is a victim of a crime it is unlikely it had anything to do with their religion at all. Hate crimes are a small percentage of crimes committed overall.

However, the news will often cite the victim's religion (if Muslim) despite there being zero evidence of religion being relevant. More controversy = more ad revenue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending