The Student Room Group

SAAS Loan after previous study?

Hey guys just a quick question.

Does anyone know if you can recieve futher student loans after you have recieved loans for previous study.

I am currently in 4th year on a course for which i have used 4 years loans i want to drop and would like to take another degree course. Would i still be able to recieve SAAS loans as normal for another 4 years?
You are only eligible for one additional year of tuition fee support (a repeat year).

For a new course, you would have to pay all tuition costs yourself directly to the institution.

For living costs loans, you *can* apply for additional years on a different course but you are NOT entitled to it.

I would strongly recommend contacting SAAS and making your intentions known. If it looks like you are dropping a near-complete degree just to circumvent loan terms and conditions, I don't think that would be successful (I'm not suggesting this is your intent, by the way, just how it might appear to SAAS).
Original post by abra_966
Hey guys just a quick question.

Does anyone know if you can recieve futher student loans after you have recieved loans for previous study.

I am currently in 4th year on a course for which i have used 4 years loans i want to drop and would like to take another degree course. Would i still be able to recieve SAAS loans as normal for another 4 years?

What the frying pan said is correct.
You get funding for your course +1 year. there are very limited circumstances where you can get additional funding and they are much more limited than SFE.
Reply 3
Original post by giant_frying_pan
You are only eligible for one additional year of tuition fee support (a repeat year).

For a new course, you would have to pay all tuition costs yourself directly to the institution.

For living costs loans, you *can* apply for additional years on a different course but you are NOT entitled to it.

I would strongly recommend contacting SAAS and making your intentions known. If it looks like you are dropping a near-complete degree just to circumvent loan terms and conditions, I don't think that would be successful (I'm not suggesting this is your intent, by the way, just how it might appear to SAAS).

Im dropping since im failing badly and didnt pass 4th year. I am aware i cannot get tuition fees, however, i am looking to use the loan to pay for the next degrees fees and work for my living expenses. I will contact saas though, was just hoping to get an idea first. Are there any other options when it comes to funding in scotland?

Edit; phoned saas today, spoke to someone who said I would be very likely to be accepted for another loan should i attempt to apply.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending