The Student Room Group

Would you use a student union run foodbank?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here and as it is finance related thought this the most appropriate place to post.

Although I'm fine now, in the past I have struggled financially and have at some points had to go three or four days without food so I could afford rent etc.

I've always been too scared/not sure how to approach a regular food bank, and thought it would be a great idea if my students union ran their own. I'm going to approach them and help, as best I can, in hopefully setting one up.

However, a few friends tell me they'd be apprehensive about using it still. So I guess my question is, if you really needed it, would you use a foodbank ran by your students union?
Reply 1
Original post by yurgle22
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here and as it is finance related thought this the most appropriate place to post.

Although I'm fine now, in the past I have struggled financially and have at some points had to go three or four days without food so I could afford rent etc.

I've always been too scared/not sure how to approach a regular food bank, and thought it would be a great idea if my students union ran their own. I'm going to approach them and help, as best I can, in hopefully setting one up.

However, a few friends tell me they'd be apprehensive about using it still. So I guess my question is, if you really needed it, would you use a foodbank ran by your students union?

In terms of needing to go yourself:

Food banks work on a referral basis.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/

Trussell Trust is one example, they do a good job on their site explaining the referral system.

You can't just go to a food bank, because you've blown your loan in freshers week. You have to go through the referral process who will assess your requirements and issue you with a slip to exchange for a food parcel.

Students using foodbanks:

It's on the rise:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/rising-cost-of-living-forcing-students-to-use-food-banks-9242399.html

Not everyone has the bank of mum and dad to live off at uni, if you're unfortunate and get stuck in expensive halls with not a lot of extra cash, even then a part time job may not help.

I can see why people do it, the union would be a good way to organise it, although some may not be comfortable taking hand outs like that.
People should not be embarrased or made to feel inadequate if they ave to resort to such drastic actions.

Understand you have been placed in this position, by evil people, and its not your fault. Its the constant failures of our political parties that have put you in this situation. And its not gonna change anytime soon. Its gonna get worse.

Yes, Use them if you have to. But never feel guilty about doing so.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Rover73
People should not be embarrased or made to feel inadequate if they ave to resort to such drastic actions.

Understand you have been placed in this position, by evil people, and its not your fault. Its the constant failures of our political parties that have put you in this situation. And its not gonna change anytime soon. Its gonna get worse.

Yes, Use them if you have to. But never feel guilty about doing so.

It's not "evil people", it's a poorly organised system.

They should offer a direct claim system for university accommodation, whereby the government pays directly for the accommodation to avoid rent arrears, then a fixed weekly/monthly payment for a living loan would make uni life so much less stressful, if people knew they were never more than 30 days away from their next payment, they could budget better.
Sorry, I meant its due to the banking crisis that food banks have appeared at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending