The Student Room Group

Reading in Law

Hello!

I've applied (and been accepted unconditionally) to study Law in September. I've heard rumors about large amounts of reading required for law, and the complex language used. I'm really not a very strong reader as I have a condition which makes it difficult, but I've made it through A-Levels okay (I think!)- though I know University is a very different thing! Reading dense, complex text in short periods of time I struggle with.

Those taking Law, do you think I'll be able to cope? Is the amount of reading as bad as people make out, and does anyone have any tips on how to cope with the load?

I hope you're all well!
Thanks for your time:smile:
Original post by RosieB1234
Hello!

I've applied (and been accepted unconditionally) to study Law in September. I've heard rumors about large amounts of reading required for law, and the complex language used. I'm really not a very strong reader as I have a condition which makes it difficult, but I've made it through A-Levels okay (I think!)- though I know University is a very different thing! Reading dense, complex text in short periods of time I struggle with.

Those taking Law, do you think I'll be able to cope? Is the amount of reading as bad as people make out, and does anyone have any tips on how to cope with the load?

I hope you're all well!
Thanks for your time:smile:

Yes there are large amount of reading involved with the degree, so I would speak to the university about your conditions so that they can make adjustments for you.
The language used can be more technical, however once you get to know the basic legal terms its not that bad.

If you think it might be beneficial to you, you could buy yourself a legal terminology book (I remember I used one called 'Lawyer's Latin'). You therefore can get used to the language used before you start so you feel more comfortable.
I wouldn't say that it is necessary to do so, it just might be reassuring for you if you are particularly worried about understanding the reading involved.

Hope this helps and good luck for september ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending