The Student Room Group

Being Squeamish

I am in the process of doing work Experience and most of the work they do is fine including some quite bloody surgeries. The only problem is I have a massive phobia of injections. I cannot have them myself as I freak out but with animals I tend to be okay however I do slightly cringe. If I went to vet school, is this something I could overcome fairly easily?
The more you see/do it the more comfortable you will get with it. Apparently it's fairly common for work experience students to faint the first time they see surgery, but obviously they have to get over that as well. In my personal opinion there's just something inherently different about injecting animals and humans. I've lost count of the number of injections I've given, IM, subcut and IV, but I just cringed watching an episode of Casualty :lol: .

TL;DR It's not a huge deal. When it comes closer to applying you will have to decide for yourself whether you think it's something that you can ever sufficiently overcome, but for now I'd suggest trying to get as much exposure as possible to try and desensitise yourself.
Original post by lucyliulu
I am in the process of doing work Experience and most of the work they do is fine including some quite bloody surgeries. The only problem is I have a massive phobia of injections. I cannot have them myself as I freak out but with animals I tend to be okay however I do slightly cringe. If I went to vet school, is this something I could overcome fairly easily?

The vet I was on work experience with told me she is petrified of receiving needles to the point she can't watch someone else get an injection, but with animals she isn't phased in the slightest. I think she said it was a combination of experience and part of the job so she just got on with it. Hopefully be the same with you lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need lots of experience seeing it; the more you see of it, it should get easier. However, if by the time you come to apply it still really freaks you out - injecting animals and watching surgery, I'd consider your options carefully, vet school is a screamish subject at times; you will see some stuff that'll wobble even the most stoic of knees
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
The more you see/do it the more comfortable you will get with it. Apparently it's fairly common for work experience students to faint the first time they see surgery, but obviously they have to get over that as well. In my personal opinion there's just something inherently different about injecting animals and humans. I've lost count of the number of injections I've given, IM, subcut and IV, but I just cringed watching an episode of Casualty :lol: .

TL;DR It's not a huge deal. When it comes closer to applying you will have to decide for yourself whether you think it's something that you can ever sufficiently overcome, but for now I'd suggest trying to get as much exposure as possible to try and desensitise yourself.

Yeah, I'll be doing a lot more work experience before I apply but I definitely want to do veterinary medicine so hopefully I can overcome it before I apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
You need lots of experience seeing it; the more you see of it, it should get easier. However, if by the time you come to apply it still really freaks you out - injecting animals and watching surgery, I'd consider your options carefully, vet school is a screamish subject at times; you will see some stuff that'll wobble even the most stoic of knees

The thing is I'm absolutely fine with surgery, it's just needles which I get freaked out about which I don't really understand why but yeah, I'll just do lots of work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending