The Student Room Group

Maths or English

Which is better? And which between English Literature and Language is better?
Original post by Goldfish4343

Both Mathematics and English are great subjects however it depends what you are planning to study at University. For example, if you are planning to study a STEM related subject at University then Mathematics would be essential/ideal but if you are studying an Essay based subject then English would be preferable.

Mathematics and English Literature are facilitating subjects however English Language isn't but it is still a good subject to study.

Read more about facilitating subjects here:
https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/facilitating-a-level-subjects-guide.html
Reply 2
Literature if you wanna analyse. Language if you wanna create things from your imagination.
Reply 3

Maths. It's a good subject to have.

ENGLISH LITERATURE ALL THE WAY even tho working out things in maths and getting it right makes me so happy w my life
I have a pretty biased opinion, to be honest as I have loved English and achieved well in it since secondary school. However, I won’t fault maths. If you can understand it well and it’s a work type fits for you then go ahead. English Language, personally my favorite, would mean that you would need large amounts of time to go over your notes, analyze texts and create essays, articles or creative pieces out of them. Literature would take a large amount of your time reading. You would be expected to know all the quotations you will need for the exam plus background knowledge. Really both English subjects will take up a large margin of time, and both have a lot of differences from what they were a lower level You would need to look over all three in comparison to you other choices or subjects you have studied and decide whether you would have enough time to commit to the subject and also if it's right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest