The Student Room Group

A level History OCR

Okay so I'm doing a project on winston Churchill and I wanted to make a booklet sort of thing but I don't know where to start !! Like I don't understand how I should lay my work out, what I should write about etc. Also what time order do I go up in like 1920 onwards? Or when he was born ? I'm just so confused idek where this is going !! Thanks for your help 👍🏾
I suppose what you could do is like have a brief section on his Personal Life/Upbringing, but predominantly focus on his career from that time-point onwards (or earlier if you wish to include his Armed Forces career), at the end of the day they'll probably care more about his actions politically than whether or not he had siblings, such a character requires a focus on his political career to really do justice.
Reply 2
I'm not sure what your project is specifically on but I'm assuming you're going up to year 12?
I do Churchill for OCR.What I'd mention is his father who was a politician, Churchill's time in the military and then him becoming a tory mp and crossing the floor to the liberals who were in power. Then after that mention his time as first lord of the admirality in WW1 and his failure in Gallipoli. Then in 1924 he crossed the floor again to the tories and became Chancellor of the Exchequer and he went back to the gold standard which failed badly and made him be seen as incompetent. Then he spent a 10 years not in a cabinet position which was seen as his "wilderness years" and criticised decolonisation in India (He loved the empire) and also supported the kings marriage to a twice divorced women - both of which were unpopular views of the public.
He wanted rearmament against Hitler but as there was the great depression a few years prior the government took the policy of appeasement (which was proved to be the wrong call) so when Hitler started invading countries he was seen as correct all that time.
You should mention why he was seen as the right man to become PM and briefly the campaigns he did during WW2 such as the North Africa campaign and his relationships with the French Leader De Gaulle, Stalin and the President of America. Lastly write some stuff on his opposition to communism after the war (and why he lost the election in 1945) and his second premiership and what he did during it (spoiler, not much). Then you should be all good :smile:
Original post by Zystra
I'm not sure what your project is specifically on but I'm assuming you're going up to year 12?
I do Churchill for OCR.What I'd mention is his father who was a politician, Churchill's time in the military and then him becoming a tory mp and crossing the floor to the liberals who were in power. Then after that mention his time as first lord of the admirality in WW1 and his failure in Gallipoli. Then in 1924 he crossed the floor again to the tories and became Chancellor of the Exchequer and he went back to the gold standard which failed badly and made him be seen as incompetent. Then he spent a 10 years not in a cabinet position which was seen as his "wilderness years" and criticised decolonisation in India (He loved the empire) and also supported the kings marriage to a twice divorced women - both of which were unpopular views of the public.
He wanted rearmament against Hitler but as there was the great depression a few years prior the government took the policy of appeasement (which was proved to be the wrong call) so when Hitler started invading countries he was seen as correct all that time.
You should mention why he was seen as the right man to become PM and briefly the campaigns he did during WW2 such as the North Africa campaign and his relationships with the French Leader De Gaulle, Stalin and the President of America. Lastly write some stuff on his opposition to communism after the war (and why he lost the election in 1945) and his second premiership and what he did during it (spoiler, not much). Then you should be all good :smile:

OMD you have no idea how much of a help this is !!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH !! I would give this answer 1000 reps if I could !!! 😁👍🏾👏🏾

Quick Reply

Latest