The Student Room Group

Open Days - how many did you attend before picking 'The One'?

When applying for university, there's no right or wrong when it comes to choosing your firm and insurance choices.

Some people will visit just one or two Open Days, others with less of an idea of where they want to study might take a trip to lots more. We've even heard of people applying 'blindly' - without checking out the university in person! :headfire:

How many Open Days did you attend before making your mind up?
I went to 3 and only applied to one, they interviewed me at the open day before I had even applied through UCAS. The others wouldn't even talk to me before I applied through UCAS.
I didn't go to any lol; I applied blind. I went to two offer holder open days though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I didn't go to any lol; I applied blind. I went to two offer holder open days though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have a risk taker here! :gigg:

How come you decided to go about it that way? Were you so set on this university that nowhere else could sway you?
went to zero open days lol:colondollar:
my insurance was simply a university that I had been interested and heard amazing things about for years and my firm was just a dream to me. They other three unis were either too average or their program for my degree was super new and not accredited yet despite the universities rep so..
And one of those three were also just my safety so i didnt really care about it at all once I saw I got into all 5 lol
Also i'm an international student so travelling to the UK is pricey and difficult to plan corresponding to open days.
Original post by Staffordshire University
We have a risk taker here! :gigg:

How come you decided to go about it that way? Were you so set on this university that nowhere else could sway you?

Basically I didn't really plan things out before applying haha, so it go to the poiny where I was sending off my UCAS and I just had to go off prospectuses, TSR, and the internet. Two of my options were UCL and Imperial and they were the offer holder open days I went to. Funnily enough, I was set to go to Imperial but then actually visited it, hated it, visited UCL and fell in love and firmed UCL. I've never looked back :biggrin:

However, I'm applying for GEM next year and intend to visit all my choices this time hahaha
Original post by kqsruno
went to zero open days lol:colondollar:
Also i'm an international student so travelling to the UK is pricey and difficult to plan corresponding to open days.

Yes, it's much more difficult for International Students to visit their chosen universities - I guess that's partly why places like The Student Room are such useful sources of information! Do you feel like you missed out at all with not being able to attend an Open Day? Here at Staffs we're experimenting with Virtual Open Days at the moment, so we're hoping they're useful for prospective students who might be physically unable to pay us a visit in person!

Were you happy with your chosen university when you arrived, having not visited them before?
Reply 7
When applying for university, there's no right or wrong when it comes to choosing your firm and insurance choices.

Some people will visit just one or two Open Days, others with less of an idea of where they want to study might take a trip to lots more. We've even heard of people applying 'blindly' - without checking out the university in person! :headfire:

How many Open Days did you attend before making your mind up?

I visited 6 in all including both applicant days and open days, at the last I knew it was the one :biggrin:
Yes, it's much more difficult for International Students to visit their chosen universities - I guess that's partly why places like The Student Room are such useful sources of information! Do you feel like you missed out at all with not being able to attend an Open Day? Here at Staffs we're experimenting with Virtual Open Days at the moment, so we're hoping they're useful for prospective students who might be physically unable to pay us a visit in person!

Were you happy with your chosen university when you arrived, having not visited them before?

Well for sure there were times when I would wish I could visit the universities, but since both my firm and insurance were so wonderful from every aspect I could view online I felt I could just trust them in terms of my satisfaction. :smile:
I remember one of the unis I applied to also emailed saying they might try a virtual open day, but it never happened; however, I did think it was a wonderful idea. I think many students would find them helpful!!! The only down side is you can't really get a feel for the actual campus since, after all, you aren't physically there, but in every other way it's a great idea!!

I visited my firm choice about a month ago and I absolutely did not regret my decision. I even got happy chills when I first caught sight of it. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest