The Student Room Group

What to do at open days?

Hi there :smile:

Was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of questions are best to ask at uni open days? Certain things to look out for and what to ask so that I get the best feel for the uni and it's courses.

Sorry if this is a silly question. :smile:
It's not a silly question at all.

Depending on the course - optional modules, contact time/lectures/labs per week, how you are assessed (exams/course work), department facilities/workshops, placement opportunities, what students do once they graduate, etc.

Ask student reps if they enjoy the course (and the city), what aspects, if they get good feedback on their work, accommodation (first and subsequent years), social scene, etc.
(edited 10 months ago)
@FH3000

Remember open days are there to give you the best possible view of the university and course, so even when you talk to students they are unlikely to say anything majorly negative about their experience and time there, so do try to ask questions which will get them to open up more.

So maybe something like: What was the most difficult thing about your course during the first year? What support is there for students who struggle with mental health/finances/loneliness etc? How easy was it for them to make friends at uni? What helped? What didn't help?

Ask practical questions: Are lectures for their course always in the same building? Do they have visiting lecturers? Are their any trips? What are mock exams like? How much time was there to revise before exams? What are the exams like?

Try to think about all the things that you are worried about or that depending on the answer could tip the balance for another university.

There is no perfect university, but try to think about the things that are most important to you and ask questions around that!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by FH3000

Was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of questions are best to ask at uni open days? Certain things to look out for and what to ask so that I get the best feel for the uni and it's courses.

Hi,

This is a great question. We feel, the best questions to ask are questions about the course: qualifications needed, what the course will cover, hours of learning time, assessment types, size of classes, personal statement queries, and application process?

Also questions about career prospects: what previous students have gone on to do, are there any job fairs, does the course offer placements, is postgraduate an option?

Questions about the facilities and accommodation are useful: find out what facilities are on offer and if you have access to them all. Is accommodation guaranteed, cost with bills, rooms on offer, size etc, security of the building, will you have to move out / around each term?

Also some general questions like: What is the cost of living here like? What sports and societies are there? How easy is it to find part time work? Support on offer?

It is also a great opportunity to talk to current students about their experience, best and worst things about the uni, what the location is like, are there things to do in the city/town?

Hope this is helpful, and if you have any further questions / queries, get in touch, and we will be happy to help :smile:
LB (WolvesRep)
Original post by FH3000

Hi @FH3000,

No question is a silly question! It’s best to get all the answers you need. I’d start off making a list of questions or concerns you might have before even attending an open day. Perhaps keep this as a generic set of questions you’d like to be answered if you’d trend more than one.

When you’re there, have a look out for the convenience of locations between campuses and/or accommodation and maybe ask current students that are there to see what they think. You could ask about night-life, societies, things to do at that uni and general student life questions. This way you can get an insight into how you see yourself being settled in at this particular uni or if it’s just not suited for you. Also, make sure to ask what facilities are on offer to you for a particular course you’re interested in - this could really aid your studies such as having access to a 24/7 library or study spaces.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Original post by FH3000

Hey there @FH3000 !
Your best bets of questions to ask is questions about the course such as what you're expected to bring to it, how many contact teaching hours there are, how you're assessed etc. Questions about accommodation are good including which ones are the most social, which ones have the best value for money, which ones have the best reputation for having good landlords and giving deposits back and just overall which is the best one to live in. You could also ask past students about their experience with the university in general and the student union. Ask them how to make the most of your time there and little things about the city that they've discovered.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by FH3000

Hi @FH3000

Open days are great opportunities to have a look around the campus and get a feel for the uni.

Feel free to ask any questions that pop up throughout the day. It is a very good opportunity to speak to current students and lecturers.

During open days that I attended I found it helpful to ask questions about the accommodation, societies, and student life. It is also helpful to ask questions about the course and module pathways that you’re interested in.

Hope that helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
(edited 10 months ago)
Hi there,
Open days are an excellent way to get a feel for the campus you will study on. The most important thing is to grab a guide of what is going on that day on campus before you attend so you can plan the time efficiently. Most universities will send this out to you prior to the open day, if not grab a schedule at the door on the day and take a few minutes to work out the essential areas that you want to visit.

If you can talk to the lecturers who will be teaching the course and find out about any essentials that you may need for the course and reading that you can do over the summer, more importantly, talk to the current students who are usually student ambassadors on the day. Find out about their course experience and what campus life is like for them.

Remember the day will be unique to you and if you are worried about anything like finance for example or are interested about the students union make sure you visit those stands.

Good luck with your next open day.

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador
Original post by FH3000

Hey @FH3000,

It’s not a silly question at all!

Open days are a great opportunity to experience the surrounding areas, explore the campus and meeting current lecturers and students!

At ARU we offer campus tours and accommodation and student finance rooms.

I’d definitely recommend doing a campus tour so you feel a bit more familiar with the area before you start.

If you’re interested in student accommodation I’d definitely recommend asking any related questions.

Study finance advice is a must in my opinion. You can get advice on how to apply and how much help you can get. They’ll be able to give you advice based on your personal circumstances!

In terms of lectures, I would ask about the types of assignments that you will be assigned. What support you get throughout the course. If you get a personal tutor and personal tutorial support for your assignments.

I would ask students about their personal experience. How did they find settling in first year. What societies are available and have they enjoyed any of them. Their personal experience of tutorial support. How they manage their time to keep on top of things.

It seems like a lot of questions but you might find a lot of them questions get answered before you ask. Other questions might also pop up while you’re there. Don’t worry too much though!

I would advise bringing a notebook and pen to write down notes. You can also write down any questions you have before you go. I suggest this because if you’re attending more than one open day, information can get mixed up or forgotten. I learnt that from personal experience.

I hope this helps!

I hope you enjoy your open days! Most important is to relax and enjoy the whole experience!

Sophie (ARU) :smile:
Reply 9
Take photos - of powerpoint slides about the course, and of buildings etc - because you'll forget what each Uni looks like once you have been to a couple of Open Days.
In addition to the above suggestions, you can get into the student mindset by scarfing as many free refreshments as possible!
Original post by artful_lounger
In addition to the above suggestions, you can get into the student mindset by scarfing as many free refreshments as possible!

Laughing out loud!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by artful_lounger

And getting all the free pens and tote bags etc. I'm still getting through my supply of free pens and I'm in third year now.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending