The Student Room Group

Who here has AS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ratata
Well according to that, it affects peoples social skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That it does. It doesn't mean that autistic people have no social skills, or they cannot do jobs that require social skills.
Also, people can learn social behaviours that for other people are innate. The art of 'mimicking' other people around them means people often don't realise that they are in fact autistic.
Reply 21
Original post by computernerd1001
That it does. It doesn't mean that autistic people have no social skills, or they cannot do jobs that require social skills.
Also, people can learn social behaviours that for other people are innate. The art of 'mimicking' other people around them means people often don't realise that they are in fact autistic.

Then why don't they always mimic normal social behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratata
Then why don't they always mimic normal social behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because people learn how to mimic social behaviours, and it depends on the person and the severity of their autism.

Tell me, do I seem like a normal person to you? Do I have normal social behaviours?
Reply 23
Because people learn how to mimic social behaviours, and it depends on the person and the severity of their autism.

Tell me, do I seem like a normal person to you? Do I have normal social behaviours?

Well I don't even know you daft **** as I've never met you. Are you autistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratata
Well I don't even know you daft **** as I've never met you. Are you autistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been talking to you this whole time, and since you feel the need to decide things for other people without knowing them (the whole 'autistic people shouldn't be teachers/doctors proves that point) I didn't think it would be that hard to at least respond in a civil manner.

It is actually harder to notice if someone is acting 'normal' vs not acting normal, as you don't tend to notice something if the majority of people all do the same thing, so I'll take that as a yes, I do generally conform to social expectations, as least as far as this conversation goes.

And yes, I am. Does that affect how you see this conversation?

Spoiler

Reply 25
I've been talking to you this whole time, and since you feel the need to decide things for other people without knowing them (the whole 'autistic people shouldn't be teachers/doctors proves that point) I didn't think it would be that hard to at least respond in a civil manner.

It is actually harder to notice if someone is acting 'normal' vs not acting normal, as you don't tend to notice something if the majority of people all do the same thing, so I'll take that as a yes, I do generally conform to social expectations, as least as far as this conversation goes.

And yes, I am. Does that affect how you see this conversation?

Spoiler

Speaking in the real world is completely different to speaking on a text. And what type of autism do you have?
Original post by Ratata
Speaking in the real world is completely different to speaking on a text. And what type of autism do you have?

Fair enough. I can agree with that.

I've struggled getting a diagnosis for a few years, despite everyone from my school to my gp knowing I'm autistic. Finally get to have an assessment this summer, which will hopefully help me sort out uni stuff as it'll be official. As such, it'd be difficult telling you what type of autism I have.

(Bearing in mind this isn't a case of self diagnosis or anything, it's just I've had a lot of trouble actually getting sorted the stuff required to be assessed. My doctor and other healthcare professionals agree)

I've struggled getting a diagnosis for a few years, despite everyone from my school to my gp knowing I'm autistic. Finally get to have an assessment this summer, which will hopefully help me sort out uni stuff as it'll be official. As such, it'd be difficult telling you what type of autism I have.

(Bearing in mind this isn't a case of self diagnosis or anything, it's just I've had a lot of trouble actually getting sorted the stuff required to be assessed. My doctor and other healthcare professionals agree)

You'll probably just be told you have Autism, which is what is all that's on my notes.
Reply 28

Then why do you think you have it? What traits have you noticed in yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiger Rag
You'll probably just be told you have Autism, which is what is all that's on my notes.

It's interesting to know that there isn't a specific 'type' written in your notes. Does the diagnosis identify a type or just that a person is autistic?

Original post by Ratata
Then why do you think you have it? What traits have you noticed in yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I've said, my doctor and school already know, and I'm getting (questionable, but it's there) help for it already. The diagnosis is the main issue, but I'm perusing that mainly because I hope it'll be able to give me access to better support, as well as helping with uni and the support I can receive there.

As for the traits side of things, it's hard to say mainly because I've never really acted very different than I do now. I know that I act very differently from other people, despite years of social conditioning. Something that tends to stand out are my views on stereotypes: I don't really see them, so it can cause a bit of a conflict if someone is trying to pin negative attributes onto someone based off a factor unrelated to the point (which means I end up in a lot of debates when I post on this site, simply because I see the world very differently from everyone else).

There are probably more examples, but it's a little hard to identify these particular aspects of yourself in these situations, I find.
It's interesting to know that there isn't a specific 'type' written in your notes. Does the diagnosis identify a type or just that a person is autistic?

It just says I have ASC. (Autism Spectrum Condition)
I've met a fair few people with Asperger's. They usually make a very big deal out of having this 'disability', even though they function as perfectly normal people who are just a little socially awkward.

Looking at the list linked to on the first page (http://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/asperger.aspx), half of these would probably apply to myself:

In particular, understanding and relating to other people, and taking part in everyday family, school, work and social life, can be harder. Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, yet can also struggle to build rapport with people with Asperger syndrome. People with Asperger syndrome may wonder why they are 'different' and feel their social differences mean people don’t understand them.

I used to feel like this in early secondary school (year 7 to year 9/10), but not so now I'm older.

People with Asperger syndrome usually have good language skills, but they may still find it hard to understand the expectations of others within conversations, perhaps repeating what the other person has just said (this is called echolalia) or talking at length about their own interests.

I used to do this when I was younger.

People with Asperger syndrome often have difficulty 'reading' other people - recognising or understanding others’ feelings and intentions - and expressing their own emotions. This can make it very hard for them to navigate the social world. They may:

- appear to be insensitive
- seek out time alone when overloaded by other people
- not seek comfort from other people
- appear to behave ‘strangely’ or in a way thought to be socially inappropriate.

They may find it hard to form friendships. Some may want to interact with other people and make friends, but may be unsure how to go about it.

Most of these applied to me when I was younger (again, not really these days).

Many people with Asperger syndrome have intense and highly-focused interests, often from a fairly young age. These can change over time or be lifelong, and can be anything from art or music, to trains or computers. An interest may sometimes be unusual. One person loved collecting rubbish, for example. With encouragement, the person developed an interest in recycling and the environment.

Many channel their interest into studying, paid work, volunteering, or other meaningful occupation. People with Asperger syndrome often report that the pursuit of such interests is fundamental to their wellbeing and happiness.

Certainly applies to me - but isn't the more usual term for this sort of thing a 'hobby'?

Pretty sure that I'd have qualified for such a diagnosis as a child, but probably not now. I definitely don't feel as though I have a disability or a disorder in any conceivable way - if anything, the above are just personality traits. I do wonder just how much it affects children when they are told that they have a condition which makes them 'different' at such a young and impressionable age.
Original post by Anonymous
I've met a fair few people with Asperger's. They usually make a very big deal out of having this 'disability', even though they function as perfectly normal people who are just a little socially awkward.

That's what you think. There's far more to it than that. If they were "just a little socially awkward", they wouldn't have been diagnosed with Autism. Some of us (such as me) tend to hide the difficulties we're actually having.

Some of us also have issues such as language / communication difficulties.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It just says I have ASC. (Autism Spectrum Condition)

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Pretty sure that I'd have qualified for such a diagnosis as a child, but probably not now. I definitely don't feel as though I have a disability or a disorder in any conceivable way - if anything, the above are just personality traits. I do wonder just how much it affects children when they are told that they have a condition which makes them 'different' at such a young and impressionable age.

As above, I haven't got an official diagnosis yet, and I'm 16. The typical age for diagnosis is a lot younger than this, as far as I've seen- and it's not as if 2 year olds are acting different for the hell of it. There's also evidence for a difference in the way the brain works for an autistic person, so to put it down to just personality traits is missing the point.

I don't 'feel' autistic, or like I am disabled in a sense that I am unable to do anything that 'ordinary people' do. I just am. It's a part of me, a part of my brain. I also don't tell people that I'm autistic unless I have to, simply because I hate the way that most people change the way they act around me, even if they're trying to help.
Reply 35
As above, I haven't got an official diagnosis yet, and I'm 16. The typical age for diagnosis is a lot younger than this, as far as I've seen- and it's not as if 2 year olds are acting different for the hell of it. There's also evidence for a difference in the way the brain works for an autistic person, so to put it down to just personality traits is missing the point.

I don't 'feel' autistic, or like I am disabled in a sense that I am unable to do anything that 'ordinary people' do. I just am. It's a part of me, a part of my brain. I also don't tell people that I'm autistic unless I have to, simply because I hate the way that most people change the way they act around me, even if they're trying to help.

Well stop behaving like an autistic. Snap out of it and start behaving like a normal person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best case of accidental clickbait ever lol :biggrin:
My best friend has severe Autism and is currently studying Mathematics in Oxford. He is far from retarded.
Reply 38
Original post by Piña colada
My best friend has severe Autism and is currently studying Mathematics in Oxford. He is far from retarded.

Then what impact has his severe autism had?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratata
Then what impact has his severe autism had?
Posted from TSR Mobile

No impact at all, that is kinda my point.

Quick Reply

Latest