The Student Room Group

Starting uni with mental health problems

I'm due to start uni in September but I'm really worried about those first few weeks, maybe even months. Everything is going to be so different and I just don't feel like I'm good enough to be there at all.

How have other people dealt with starting uni with mental health problems?
I'm in exactly the same boat- I'm struggling already and I don't start until September! I'm not good with new people and that's what's worrying me most.
Original post by princessmaire80
I'm in exactly the same boat- I'm struggling already and I don't start until September! I'm not good with new people and that's what's worrying me most.

Exactly! People keep telling me to stop worrying about something that isn't here yet and isn't happening yet but I like to be prepared :tongue: Even the thought of starting and moving into halls and everything has me worried so I don't know what I'm going to do when it comes to actually starting
There is a lot of help available, it's probably worth letting the disability department know you exist/applying for DSA/etc in advance so that's a load off your mind and one less thing to do once you're there and should also help you cope better.

I start back in 3.5 weeks and I'm still weighing up whether to drop out or not. :sad:
Original post by Sabertooth
There is a lot of help available, it's probably worth letting the disability department know you exist/applying for DSA/etc in advance so that's a load off your mind and one less thing to do once you're there and should also help you cope better.

I start back in 3.5 weeks and I'm still weighing up whether to drop out or not. :sad:

That's a good point. I have a phone appointment with them early next week, and have just had my DSA needs assessment. I don't know why but I'm just so convinced all the staff in the department will be horrible and not understanding and I'll just be forced out by it all. I already feel really alien to everything. Even talking to the people who were going to be my flatmates wasn't going well, though they won't be my flatmates after all now

Is it possible to try it for a little bit to see how it goes? Or maybe you're in a bit of a better place so it could be easier? :frown:
glad you made this thread :hugs: in the same boat rlly, im worried uni will be too much for me like the pressure of living alone and having to manage everything ontop of work and worries about money etc. My only hope is that apparently there are good MH facilities there (unlike where i currently live) so hopefully there will be something we can both have access too
:hugs:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
That's a good point. I have a phone appointment with them early next week, and have just had my DSA needs assessment. I don't know why but I'm just so convinced all the staff in the department will be horrible and not understanding and I'll just be forced out by it all. I already feel really alien to everything. Even talking to the people who were going to be my flatmates wasn't going well, though they won't be my flatmates after all now

Is it possible to try it for a little bit to see how it goes? Or maybe you're in a bit of a better place so it could be easier? :frown:

I've been to two universities in the UK and everyone was incredibly understanding and accommodating and just really, really nice about the whole mental health thing. Even people I didn't expect to be nice (like overworked secretaries) would be friendly and helpful when I had to submit stuff to them. All the professors were fine with giving extensions and had no problems with seeing me during office hours or replying to emails etc. And the disability people were really wonderful, nothing was ever too much trouble, no one made me feel guilty or unwanted or anything. I really do hope that this will be the case for you too. Do you know if there's a GP on campus specifically for students or do you have to see one in the city somewhere?

Flatmates...well, they can be good or bad, I've had both. I wouldn't worry too much about them. A lot of people tend to make friends in societies and on their course - like people they have stuff in common with, you don't really share anything with your flatmates in a lot of cases. Sure, it's nice to get on with them but if they're not your best friends ever it shouldn't be too bad there are other avenues. Did you talk to them on Facebook or something?

I can't really try out going back to uni without the financial input ($4000 for the semester) which I know is stupid to be worrying about when this is a decision that will affect the rest of my life. It's one module, and I've failed it 3 times so far, I'm scared the stress is going to make everything worse, I just don't believe I'm intelligent enough to pass it. I mean, what kind of loser fails a module 3 times? :banghead: Anyway, don't wanna take over your thread! Apologies! :colondollar:
For what it's worth - people starting uni all tend to be quite nervous and worried even without mental health issues. I mean it's a big step for everyone, right? So actually in those first few weeks where everyone's finding their ground, they probably won't even notice you have MH issues. Bond with people in that opening period where it won't be as noticeable if you struggle from anxiety and depression or the like...if you can. It's not that easy, obviously.

Still, as people have said - there is support available. As a generation we're generally quite anxious and depressed people and universities know that, moreover have to be prepared to help with MH given the sad levels of suicide that sometimes occur. Seek them out once you start, and try to register for therapy/other professional help at a local doctor's once you've moved in and set up for a couple days.

Most importantly...don't give up.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I'm due to start uni in September but I'm really worried about those first few weeks, maybe even months. Everything is going to be so different and I just don't feel like I'm good enough to be there at all.

How have other people dealt with starting uni with mental health problems?

I am in the same situation! I dont know whether it's a good idea or not for me to start. I've been told different things from different people on what i should do. Make sure to be in contact with the uni mental health services when you start so you have some support and so you can ask for help if you need it or don't get knocked back for missing deadlines and things like that - that's what i will do if i decide to go this September. Good luck!
I'm the other end of the spectrum. I started university with mental health issues and i just graduated (they've got worse now though =( but thats not down to the uni)
If you haven't got mental health problems before you start university you will sure have them after you start.
I went to uni with mental health problems and lots of other people manage too. I do think it's worth having a plan. Try and think about what will be tough for you and put together a plan to deal with it. Make contact with your disability officer at uni so that if anything affects your studies you have a point of contact to seek help - unis are generally very understanding. Make a plan for day 1 e.g. unpack, go to the supermarket, knock on doors of flatmates etc. Try and 'meet' someone on FB from your halls and floor before you go so you have a 'friend' to explore with. Force yourself to go out and get involved with X number of days events in the first coupe of weeks so you don't feel isolated.

Also, take the time tolook after yourself, it can be easy to get caught up with drinking and other stuff and forget to eat well, exercise and take some time to practice self care and then suddenly your mental health suffers.

Quick Reply

Latest