The Student Room Group

Commuting 2 1/4 hours to uni for part-time study

Hey,

I'm considering a part-time postgrad. The uni that offers the course is about 2 1/4 hours away using trains. I'm waiting for confirmation but it looks as though each module is only 3 contact hours in a week (and all in one block). This means I'll presumably only need to be on campus either one or two days a week depending on semester. Travel would cost £20-£40 a week. I currently live with my parents so it would save money if I didn't have rent, bills, etc. Also I have two part-time jobs and I'd be reluctant to leave one of them as it's entry level in the sector that I am keen to progress in (and which the course obviously relates to). I'd be worried I wouldn't find anything else within the organisation, or similar. Also, I've always quite enjoyed working on trains 😛 Should I go ahead with this plan or look into relocating, which would involve greater financial output?
Original post by PennyLane90
Hey,

I'm considering a part-time postgrad. The uni that offers the course is about 2 1/4 hours away using trains. I'm waiting for confirmation but it looks as though each module is only 3 contact hours in a week (and all in one block). This means I'll presumably only need to be on campus either one or two days a week depending on semester. Travel would cost £20-£40 a week. I currently live with my parents so it would save money if I didn't have rent, bills, etc. Also I have two part-time jobs and I'd be reluctant to leave one of them as it's entry level in the sector that I am keen to progress in (and which the course obviously relates to). I'd be worried I wouldn't find anything else within the organisation, or similar. Also, I've always quite enjoyed working on trains 😛 Should I go ahead with this plan or look into relocating, which would involve greater financial output?

If you're reliant on trains there's always that stress that there could be delays, is distance learning not an option for you?
Original post by claireestelle
If you're reliant on trains there's always that stress that there could be delays, is distance learning not an option for you?

I second this.

I took the train to sixth form every day for two years and I have had numerous delays; Especially in the summer (during exam season) when the rail expands and causes all sorts of problems D: Can be very stressful indeed.
Reply 3
The course isn't available by distance learning unfortunately 😕 I really had my heart set on the specific course but I suppose I should at least look for distance learning alternatives as there aren't any similar taught degrees in my city. (Sorry if I haven't replied properly, this was my first post!)
Original post by PennyLane90
The course isn't available by distance learning unfortunately 😕 I really had my heart set on the specific course but I suppose I should at least look for distance learning alternatives as there aren't any similar taught degrees in my city. (Sorry if I haven't replied properly, this was my first post!)

If the course is genuinely the best for you, then it is probably worth the commute by train.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending