Reply 3
Original post by jonathanemptage
Go in to halls.

Good idea but it doesn’t make sense financially
If I go in average 2 times a week
That’s 4 hours per week
4*50= 200
10000/200= £50/h
The commute is draining but I will still have to commute about 20 mins realistically even if I move to accommodation so staying on that train for that extra 40 minutes is good especially considering interest on student finance and high loans associated with unis esp for med
that 40 mind 2 times a week is the difference between graduating with 50k debt or 100k student loan debt.
Ofc the 100% accumulates interest such it wouldn’t be realistic to ever pay back
Original post by Anonymous
That’s 4 hours per week
4*50= 200
10000/200= £50/h
The commute is draining but I will still have to commute about 20 mins realistically even if I move to accommodation so staying on that train for that extra 40 minutes is good especially considering interest on student finance and high loans associated with unis esp for med
that 40 mind 2 times a week is the difference between graduating with 50k debt or 100k student loan debt.
Ofc the 100% accumulates interest such it wouldn’t be realistic to ever pay back

Either it's "too draining" as you said in your OP or it isn't as you're saying here.

What sort of replies were you expecting to get to your OP?
That’s 4 hours per week
4*50= 200
10000/200= £50/h

Hi there , I understand your predicament . Just because it is the best decision for you financially doesn't mean that it isn't inconvenient to you. A long commute can be tough after a long day at school even if it's only just 2 times a week.
Maybe this year prioritise your finances and stay at home and commute but consider halls or private student accommodation in second year because you psychological well being is just as important as your student debt loan. You might have a smaller loan at the end of this but at what cost to your mental health. Second year is harder than first , maybe not having to travel an hour after all your classes will be beneficial. And you will have access to your campus in the evening and get to take part in other activities your university has to offer . University is a life changing experience it may be worthing taking on a little extra debt just for one year to fully immerse yourself in life at Uni.

I hope this helps a little and gives you another perspective.
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
One hour commute but still finding it too draining

Anon,

Is it draining because you don't get a seat on your journey or because you have to change trains?

You may find that by changing the time you leave (earlier or later) that your journey is quicker and more comfortable.

You might also find that listening to music or reading a book makes the commute less draining.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending