The Student Room Group

Application of Course

Can I apply for an undergraduate degree course if I am already studying at another university?
Original post by unique33
Can I apply for an undergraduate degree course if I am already studying at another university?

Theoretically yes, however there are several caveats.

Most of the higher "ranked" universities don't, in general, accept applications from students currently on undergraduate courses, excepting those with extenuating circumstances. This is due to an unspoken agreement whereby they do not attempt to "poach" other universities top students.

Additionally, there are funding implications - you only receive funding from SFE/SLC for an amount of time equal to the length of your course, plus one year. If you apply after second year to a new UG course beginning in first year, without extentuating circumstances, you will likely be liable for tuition fees for at least one year of the course. These fees are to be paid for the first year you are "unable" to be funded for - not the last. Therefore it would be the first year after changing course you would need to self fund (you would normally still be eligible for a maintenance loan however).

The above is for the general case - for e.g. GEM, they normally accept applications from final year students, and will make conditional offers based on them graduating and attaining a specified standard. Some GEM courses however require extensive work experience which necessarily requires at least one year to be taken out to apply in after graduating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending