The Student Room Group

"entrepreneurs"

Why does everyone want to be one? They lead a sad life, 99/100 find it hard to enjoy the pleasures of life, coupled with >100 hrs/week they spend on developing their product/services, whatever they do (remember, they have to do EVERYTHING - design, market, advertise, financial feasibility...), they get treated like crap by Venture Capitalists, they usually have a limited social circle...

Sure 1/100 might be successful but why take the odds? Why not just work for something like charity etc where you make a real difference?

Has anyone ever thought about this or do they just think it's cool to be one?
Reply 1
and most of them, realising they can't do much in life, end up doing an MBA and looking for banking jobs anyway.
Reply 2
then don't be one, those who want to, who have the ambition will try. Enjoy working for someone else.
But if you succeed, you get incredibly wealthy :biggrin:
going into entrepreneurialism entirely for money reasons would be incredible stupid. Do it because you want to create something new
Haha. About half my good friends either turned down or jacked in investment banking careers to become (internet) entrepreneurs. Key reasons why:
1) They have a big problem with the notion of working for someone else, and want to "be their own boss" rather than being forced to wake up at a certain time etc. Though resultantly they can end up working till 5-6am, waking up the next evening.. I'd much rather have a more regular, disciplined routine as it's surely a healthier option.
2) They want to be multi-millionaires and get rich quick, saying the upside of being a successful entrepreneur is multiple, multiple times that of starting on a banking grad scheme. Many are unphased by how few entrepreneurs actually become millionaires because they're so convinced their ideas will be the next big thing.
3) They want to make a difference, making things easier/more efficient for society or users of a product/service, rather than what they see to be making rich people richer increasing a big corporation's profit line.

Most who've been in the game a while I've spoken to fluctuate between regretting their decision not to go for a 'safe' City job when things are going badly, and on top of the world when it's all going to plan.
Reply 6
After working under someone else and on a payroll the prospects of being your own boss can seem quite alluring. It's not for everyone, but I would say being an entrepreneur can be much more satisfying.
Reply 7
tell that to the Dragons in Dragons Dent
Reply 8
Another One
Why does everyone want to be one? They lead a sad life, 99/100 find it hard to enjoy the pleasures of life, coupled with >100 hrs/week they spend on developing their product/services, whatever they do (remember, they have to do EVERYTHING - design, market, advertise, financial feasibility...), they get treated like crap by Venture Capitalists, they usually have a limited social circle...

Sure 1/100 might be successful but why take the odds? Why not just work for something like charity etc where you make a real difference?

Has anyone ever thought about this or do they just think it's cool to be one?

As far as I can see, they don't treat it as work. They don't talk about working hours, holiday allowance, or having a bit of banter at the office when its quiet. They are following a dream almost 24/7. When I was considering my job options I asked an entrepreneur friend if I could do it, and he told me that if I have to ask the question, the answer is no. I think that they get an idea, or a few ideas, and get so excited about the prospect taking it from a daydream to a recognised brand or something that if they ignored it and took on a 9-5 job they would never forgive themselves.
Reply 9
Many don't do it for the aforementioned "riches" that they may or may not get. Those who stick through it thick and thin, do so because it will be something they believe in - not a project you were assigned to do by a client, or because your manager thinks your qualities are best suited to - you will be the overseer of everything, and the work you undertake will be of your choosing.

Whether it's mega successful or on the brink of breaking even, you get to choose where YOUR venture goes. I think of it like renting and buying a house; there is less commitment, worries etc. for renting, but you are essentially throwing away the money (ike at work, you are "throwing away" your time and efforts to satisfy someone else's requirements - though of course that's where salaries come in; with your own venture you are investing in it yourself, and you will see the end results and so on.
Reply 10
What i don't get is, why don't the French have a word for this?
Reply 11
icklebrov
What i don't get is, why don't the French have a word for this?

lol, brilliant mate.

Latest

Trending

Trending