The Student Room Group

How many of these 'must-reads' have you read?

Scroll to see replies

9/50. I don't feel bad, because I think a lot of these books are just not my sort of thing at all. I read about 70-90 books a year, mostly historical fiction, fantasy and sci-fi. I don't tend to read a lot of "popular" or "classic" books, I usually find them really dull (having flashbacks of being forced to read Pride & Prejudice in GCSE English).
16/50

Some of these books I've read and they were terrible so I wouldn't personally count them as "must reads"
Reply 82
Only 4/50... I love reading but I stick to books written in the last decade because those are the books that interest me
31/50 However I do not believe I haven't read anything on that list in the last 5 years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
Some of you may have seen the '50 books to read before you die' bookmark in some bookstores, but how many of them have you actually read? Find out here, and post your score in the thread! :biggrin:

Despite being an avid reader, a lot of these fall outside of my usual reading, so I've only read 9/10 myself :tongue:

I used to read an awful lot when I was younger. As a teenager moved onto crime, but really since around 20 I haven't read much.
6 :colondollar:
Reply 86
Original post by yudothis

I used to read an awful lot when I was younger. As a teenager moved onto crime, but really since around 20 I haven't read much.

The phrasing of this makes it sound like you became a criminal to fill the void left in your life by the absence of reading.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The phrasing of this makes it sound like you became a criminal to fill the void left in your life by the absence of reading.

Agreed.

That's how empty someone's life can be without reading.
36/50.

Since when was The Bible a 'must read'?
I haven't willingly read a book since like year 4
Original post by Federerr
I haven't willingly read a book since like year 4

I take it you're not a reading fan then? :tongue:
not enough so many good books in the world and never enough time to read them xxx
I've only read 8/50 (but surely the HP series counts as 7?!), but I've got a lot of them on my Kobo (yay free classic books!). Just waiting to read books I've read before reading the free ones!
Original post by Glassapple
9/50, there are books not on there that everyone should read, like 'Fahrenheit 451'. Although I've read all of the series, you don't have to read Harry Potter before you die, it won't educate you or give you any different perspectives on life...

As someone who has both read and own the entire Harry Potter series, including charity books. I fully agree. Both in regards to that and the fact that 'Fahrenheit 451'seems to be missing.

Also I counted 10 myself.
I only have read 6 on this list but I am French so I have read much more French classics compared to English ones tbh (maybe 15/20) :/
(edited 6 years ago)
12 unless you count the ones I've attempted but are not my thing, in which case 21... plus the fact there's at least 3 I would never read.
That's a really bad 'must-read' or I have no taste, there's only about 5 I would recommend.
Original post by shadowdweller
Some of you may have seen the '50 books to read before you die' bookmark in some bookstores, but how many of them have you actually read? Find out here, and post your score in the thread! :biggrin:

Despite being an avid reader, a lot of these fall outside of my usual reading, so I've only read 9/10 myself :tongue:
Who defines a "must-read" book?
Original post by Tootles
Who defines a "must-read" book?

In this case, the creators of the '50 Greatest Books' bookmark, or wherever they got the list from :tongue:
4/50 (a lot of these are on my reading list so I need to get to them at some point)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending