The Student Room Group

First set of 9-1 GCSE maths grade boundaries published

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quizlet
It would be very unusual for more than 1/5 of higher candidates attaining a u.

It's actually impossible. Only 3% of U grades are permitted as there is a 'guarantee' that the proportion of U grades this year will be the same as 2016.
Original post by Mr M
It's actually impossible. Only 3% of U grades are permitted as there is a 'guarantee' that the proportion of U grades this year will be the same as 2016.

Hmm. 52 for a 3 is quite high. Does that mean that (minimum) 97% of higher tier candidates got 52 marks or higher?

Do 'private schools' generally perform higher than 'usual' schools? Maybe that's why it's a bit on the high side for lower grades?

Sorry for all these questions :redface:.
Original post by Quizlet
Hmm. 52 for a 3 is quite high. Does that mean that (minimum) 97% of higher tier candidates got 52 marks or higher?

I believe the 'guarantee' only applies to the reformed GCSE rather than the IGCSE so not necessarily.

Original post by Quizlet
Do 'private schools' generally perform higher than 'usual' schools?

I'd expect so. Parents would hope to get at least a small advantage after shelling out tens of thousands of pounds in school fees.
Original post by Mr M
My school requires 6 for Maths and 7 for FM. The last three lines of your quote sound reasonable but I am disappointed your school doesn't appear to be interested in students who might achieve lower A level pass grades.

Yeah but I guess they do hope that you can get those top grades. I'm pretty shocked though - I go to a state public school in Chelsea in London, not private or grammar and thought these criteria were too high! Only 1 or 2 or even none will get to FM in my year by that criteria.
Original post by Mr M
(EDIT : Other CIE 9-1 grade boundaries can be found here)

You've all been desperate to get your hands on some real 9-1 grade boundaries so these are the ones for CIE IGCSE maths.

A is Foundation Tier and B is Higher Tier.

This may not inform the debate as the difficulty of the GCSE papers could have been different but it gives us a taste of what we might expect in two weeks' time.

These are a lot lower than I was expecting! I'm on Edexcel, but going through past grade boundaries for CIE and Edexcel and doing a comparison, usually grades A*-C are very similar, within +/- 10 marks of each boundary, roughly, but if we play it safe and +/- 15 marks for these boundaries, I reckon we might be in with some pretty solid boundaries. If these are even closer, then brilliant!
I'm hoping for an 8, myself - I really need it to do FM at college!
Original post by Reality Check
Exactly - talk about false hope.

To be fair, the new A levels appear to be a bit harder, although content is mostly similar, but the grade boundaries are a lot lower now. So I'd guess that that'd be the same for maths A level for the students sitting the 9-1 exams.
Nice. These give my hope that i'll be able to get a 6 to do what I want in college.
I would +- 10 marks just to be safe though.
Original post by Caesar II
Nice. These give my hope that i'll be able to get a 6 to do what I want in college.
I would +- 10 marks just to be safe though.

Do you think its definitely going to be 5/10 marks either way or theres at least a 90/95% chance?
Original post by Chloet5827
Do you think its definitely going to be 5/10 marks either way or theres at least a 90/95% chance?

It's impossible to quantify this. You really need to give these grade boundary threads a rest for the next two weeks as they are just making you anxious.
Original post by Reality Check
Still surprises me that a candidate only needs to get 50% of the raw marks to get a high B in old money. As for 25% being sufficient for a old 'O Level' pass...

I'm very surprised you can drop 49 raw marks and walk away with the highest possible grade.
When do the edexcel boundaries get published? Im fudgen terrefied.
Original post by qasim2345
When do the edexcel boundaries get published? Im fudgen terrefied.

24th August.
Original post by Mr M
It's impossible to quantify this. You really need to give these grade boundary threads a rest for the next two weeks as they are just making you anxious.

No, the school education system is making me anxious. I know whats best for me, was anxious before I even seen the threads.
Original post by Mr M
24th August.

I thought they were released a week before results day, not on results day aye?
Original post by qasim2345
I thought they were released a week before results day, not on results day aye?

You thought wrong.
Original post by thekidwhogames
A level isn't as hard as you're making it out to be - some grade 9 questions require more Mathematical intuition than 90% of C1-C2 and some C3 questions (from the old spec) however the new spec A Level Maths (this year) will require more emphasis on modelling/problem solving meaning no grade 9 questions = A Level question in difficulty so in a way you're right. My school requires 7 for Maths and 9 for FM - I think this is reasonable. And what my school thinks:

7 in GCSE may lead you to a B in A Level
8 will lead you to A/A*
9 will lead you to A* in both M/FM (with enough work)

I know someone who got a grade B at gcse and got an A* in maths
Original post by AsianG99

Which is why I said what my school expects. Also, that person put in a lot of effort - someone who gets a B doesn't usually get A*.
**** okay these are actually nice- ish grade boundaries. There's no way I'm getting an 8/9 but HOPEFULLY I have enough for a 7.
Original post by AsianG99

Some people win the National Lottery. Most don't.
Original post by thekidwhogames
A level isn't as hard as you're making it out to be - some grade 9 questions require more Mathematical intuition than 90% of C1-C2 and some C3 questions (from the old spec) however the new spec A Level Maths (this year) will require more emphasis on modelling/problem solving meaning no grade 9 questions = A Level question in difficulty so in a way you're right. My school requires 7 for Maths and 9 for FM - I think this is reasonable. And what my school thinks:

7 in GCSE may lead you to a B in A Level
8 will lead you to A/A*
9 will lead you to A* in both M/FM (with enough work)

A person with a Grade 7 has the potential to get a Grade A/A* in A Level. You just need to put the effort in.

Quick Reply

Latest