The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Barcodes don't trigger shop alarms, as you were told earlier in the thread. Why are you scanning your forehead in the pictures?
Type DNA barcoding into a search engine.
Reply 82
Original post by Notnek
Barcodes don't trigger shop alarms, as you were told earlier in the thread. Why are you scanning your forehead in the pictures?

Quick, run away, don't look back, don't let him draw you into his world, I've been there but I managed to escape... ... I think.

:getmecoat:
Reply 83
No they don't. The detectors are detecting RFIDs not simple barcodes.

And there's no dangerous "radiation" from a barcode scanner, although some might have low-powered laser which might not be good to get into your eyes. No idea if your handheld one does that - I doubt it.
Reply 84
No they can only detect radio frequencies.

You might see barcodes like this on top of an RF tag but it isn't the barcode that sets of the scanner, it is the tag underneath it but most products won't have these. I'm guessing you don't have an RF tag implanted in your arm so your arm will not trigger shop alarms.

It wouldn't make sense for a shop alarm to detect barcodes. The barcode would have to face the scanner and what if the product was inside a plastic bag, which it normally would be? Don't just listen to us - try Googling it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Just dont let anyone take advantage of you. if youre not sure ask someone close to you. I don't know where you got the idea that a tattoo can set off a shop alarm...but be safe, if not sure or it sounds strange, ask someone you trust.
Reply 86
I think we need to keep debating it because you're still spreading false information. Please answer this question: how could a shop alarm detect a barcode if it was inside a plastic bag?

Once you accept that you are incorrect, the debate will be over.
Reply 87
Prove it: walk out of Asda (or any store) with your barcode visible. See what happens.

Do you know what radiation is? Thermal radiation *is* radiation. Light is radiation. Sound is radiation. I think you are worried about *ionising* radiation - that's unlikely to be something your handheld scanner is emitting.

http://www.aasc.ucla.edu/cab/200708230001.html

That said, if something is getting hot it's probably not a good idea to keep doing it.
Reply 88
Damn you’re stubborn. I’ll be back tomorrow to continue annoying you by speaking the truth.
show us pictures!!!
?

your tattoo when you get it lol
Reply 91
Indeed it was.

So do it again when no-one else is walking past. That's how you do a proper test, especially as you now think that Asda *might* be triggered (it isn't btw). Then when the alarms don't go off you can report back and we can all finally go to sleep safe in the knowledge that science worked as expected.

I think Asda is open 24 hours, so you could go now.
Reply 92
I completely agree! o_o today I found myself staring at the fairy lights on my Christmas tree...they are so colourful and pretty! I was completely mesmerised, kind of like a moth. I reached out my hand to give them a little stroke but when my fingertips came into contact with the bulbs it felt warm!...I think they must be emitting some sort of radiation like your bar code scanner, it's the only logical explanation. Luckily my fingertips are OK and my hair isn't falling out yet so i will continue to do it! ^_^
Reply 93
So to change that ratio to 100% you remove the area of uncertainty: the other people going through the scanner.

It's quite simple. Especially late at night when it's quiet.

I've seen people in our local supermarket with PJ's and slippers on. I'm sure the store won't mind... It will put your mind at rest and help you sleep better. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Phew thanks for letting me know! ^_^
Btw i'm a little late to this thread and have a question if you wouldn't mind answering. I was wondering if your bar code tattoo actually works when scanned and if so what item does it say you are and how much do you cost? o_0
Reply 95
Yes, it's quite unique not seen anyone with a bar code tattoo before. ^_^ The lines look nice and clean so it doesn't look ugly. When i saw the thread i initally thought you would be getting it because of the computer game Hitman (The main character has that tattoo on his head)
Reply 96
You don't say!

[video]https://youtu.be/LpswiH_Vkes[/video]
How did I not see this thread until now? This is hilarious. :rofl:

(Do you think if I got a Blue Badge parking permit tattoo on my hand, that I'd get free parking for life?)
oi show the stupid tat
lol k I looked, and you actually went thru with it. What a lad haha. Also I'm not on roids, so.

Latest