The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
Does anyone know any especially cheap bike shops in Cambridge? I'm leaving my normal bike at home as I don't want it to get stolen, and so will be needing to get one when I arrive :smile: I used to be, a while ago.

In terms of Cambridge ballet dancers, Holly Gabrielle (who has a YouTube channel) was in Giselle this year and made a few videos about it, if you're looking to see what the Cambridge lot do! I submitted it without gaps, as much as it pained me I didn't want to take anything more out!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I got mine from the bike stall in the market, got a basket, lights and lock thrown in iirc. It's so vintage I got through all 4 years with no one wanting to steal it!
Original post by vincrows
Cars without a permission isn't allowed in at all in the very central part of town where King's is and there aren't many paid-parking-bays either. The best bet is probably Queen's Road with parking-bays most of the way on one side, but not always to find an unoccupied space. I suspect it's even busier on the days freshers are arriving.
For multi-storey car parks, Grand Arcade and Park Street car parks are the nearest to King's, but Fridays are always busy time for Grand Arcade and I'd suspect Park Street will be busier on the days freshers are arriving also, so please prepared that you may have to drive around a bit until you find a space in those options.

You'll get used to this routine after a while as you'll have to do it 6 times a year! :biggrin:

Thank you for your reply, and hints and tips. Yes - we are preparing for a stressful day.

And yes - 6 times a year, plus probably an overnight stay each time as we live 160 miles away :frown:. Not sure if we will have to do it for the full 6 years or just the first 3 (medicine student).
Original post by Etoile
I got mine from the bike stall in the market, got a basket, lights and lock thrown in iirc. It's so vintage I got through all 4 years with no one wanting to steal it!

Oh nice! May I ask, how much was it?
Original post by Just_a_mum
Thank you for your reply, and hints and tips. Yes - we are preparing for a stressful day.

And yes - 6 times a year, plus probably an overnight stay each time as we live 160 miles away :frown:. Not sure if we will have to do it for the full 6 years or just the first 3 (medicine student).

For clinical years, they don’t usually live on the main site, so hopefully you’ll have a better parking option!

Edit:
when you’ll be arriving for the first time, the college might have specifified a time slot you need to arrive, but after that you can get there anytime/day you want, so if you’re staying overnight in Cambridge, you’ll have a much better chance finding a parking space in early time in morning = the morning after your overnight stay.
You can arrive on any day during a week before a term starts and stay at college for up to a week after s term ends because of the way ‘Residential Weeks’ work, so if you can stagger your day to come and pick up,your son/drop him off, things are not too bad as the first day in the first year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Steliata
Oh nice! May I ask, how much was it?

I think it was £80 but included all that stuff and a year's worth of repairs or something like that - but because I picked such an ancient and well-built one nothing on it has ever broken!! They have a big range of them at different prices though (I think they might even start at £20-£30), and you can test drive any you like the look of too.
Original post by Etoile
I think it was £80 but included all that stuff and a year's worth of repairs or something like that - but because I picked such an ancient and well-built one nothing on it has ever broken!! They have a big range of them at different prices though (I think they might even start at £20-£30), and you can test drive any you like the look of too.

That sounds fab! Thank you for the information :smile:
Do colleges still posts end of year exam results publicly? If so, what colleges?
Original post by ClassicalKeynes1
Do colleges still posts end of year exam results publicly? If so, what colleges?

the faculties post them (for all colleges and subjects)
Original post by newblood
the faculties post them (for all colleges and subjects)

Original post by ClassicalKeynes1

I think you're allowed to opt out, if you want to
Original post by k.russell

Yup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't it seem like you'd failed or only passed though?

The process for opting out isn't exactly easy, from what I know.

Original post by D3LLI5

No.
Original post by Zacken
The process for opting out isn't exactly easy, from what I know.

There was talk of making it easier during the vote campaign wasn't there? I guess that hasn't happened...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Original post by Doonesbury
There was talk of making it easier during the vote campaign wasn't there? I guess that hasn't happened...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was. Haven't heard anything about it since.
Original post by alow
There was. Haven't heard anything about it since.

That's a shame.

Process currently seems quite a hassle:

"Withholding names from Class Lists

There is provision for students to have their name withheld from the Class List. Only their Tutor may submit an application on their behalf to the University's Applications Committee. Applications will only be considered where there is demonstrable evidence of medical or other exceptional extenuating circumstances showing that publication would be likely to seriously endanger their health or well-being. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and at least 10 days before the publication of the Class List. Therefore students should contact their Tutors as soon as possible should they wish to have their name withheld.

The Tutor will inform students if their application is successful, although the omission of their name could result in them receiving their result slightly later than other students. If their name is withheld from the Class List and they have been awarded a prize in connection with the examination their name will not be published as prizewinner."

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/examinations/undergraduate-exam-information/tripos-disregard-terms-conduct-etc
Original post by D3LLI5

Could have, if it were many years ago.
But in recent years there'd been lots of debates and quite an active protest campaign been going on about the issue, so if you opt out now, people would probably think you're one of the people who oppose it......as long as you've been living like a hermit and blissfully unaware of those protest's been going on.
(which begs a question....Where have you been?? :tongue:)
Original post by vincrows
Could have, if it were many years ago.
But in recent years there'd been lots of debates and quite an active protest campaign been going on about the issue, so if you opt out now, people would probably think you're one of the people who oppose it......as long as you've been living like a hermit and blissfully unaware of those protest's been going on.
(which begs a question....Where have you been?? :tongue:)

I haven't noticed anyone protesting about it. I saw a couple of tab articles but that's it.
Original post by D3LLI5
I haven't noticed anyone protesting about it. I saw a couple of tab articles but that's it.

It was on a few national papers, too, last year.
That's a shame.

There is provision for students to have their name withheld from the Class List. Only their Tutor may submit an application on their behalf to the University's Applications Committee. Applications will only be considered where there is demonstrable evidence of medical or other exceptional extenuating circumstances showing that publication would be likely to seriously endanger their health or well-being. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and at least 10 days before the publication of the Class List. Therefore students should contact their Tutors as soon as possible should they wish to have their name withheld.

The Tutor will inform students if their application is successful, although the omission of their name could result in them receiving their result slightly later than other students. If their name is withheld from the Class List and they have been awarded a prize in connection with the examination their name will not be published as prizewinner."

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/examinations/undergraduate-exam-information/tripos-disregard-terms-conduct-etc

So the only way that you can not get your results shown publicly is if you can show/prove that publication will endanger your health. Seeing that it's your own results, I thought they would just take your word.
Reply 599
That's a shame.

Yeah. Ideally it would just be a checkbox on CamSIS or something like that.

Do you know if there is any data on how many people opt-out? Class lists aren't online yet for this year but from last years it doesn't seem like more than a handful of people were missing (although I'd suspect there will be more this year).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending