The Student Room Group

Got a bad grade in subject I'm doing at uni. Will I cope?

Hey! I've just got my A level results back, and I got into my firm choice! I am going to do English Literature and Fine Art as a joint honours.
Although, I got an A in Art, I got a D in English. I am really worried that I'm not going to be able to cope with Degree Level English if I can't get a decent grade at A Level! Will I cope?
Original post by bethhieboo
Hey! I've just got my A level results back, and I got into my firm choice! I am going to do English Literature and Fine Art as a joint honours.
Although, I got an A in Art, I got a D in English. I am really worried that I'm not going to be able to cope with Degree Level English if I can't get a decent grade at A Level! Will I cope?

Any idea why English was so much worse than you thought? It could be worth talking to your school about what they think and would it be worth getting a review of the marking for it. If you got into uni though then they clearly think you're capable :smile: I'd say give it a go and see what happens- uni is very different to school and that may just suit you! If needs be you can change course or go down a different route but hopefully you won't be needing that. Good luck!

You will be fine. A levels barely reflect degree level work and so it is a completely different 'game', so to speak.

Most people improve because A levels are very restrictive as they require you to learn a specific syllabus, whereas a degree (especially English) allows you to be creative and bring in your own research and analysis. They require two completely different sets of skills.

As long as you have been accepted onto the course you have the skills and ability to complete the degree. Don't let your A level grade get you down!

You've got in! Well done :smile: As you've got in the uni is clearly impressed with your application and thinks you'll be fine. Remember that degree level study is very different from A level study so don't worry about it. Just make sure you ask for help if you need it and don't struggle alone. Congrats!
Reply 4
update for everyone, dropped it after first year anyway! Finished degree in Fine Art alone and am starting my PGCE in September
update for everyone, dropped it after first year anyway! Finished degree in Fine Art alone and am starting my PGCE in September

Well done on finishing! I dropped my second subject (music) then too. Primary or secondary? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by furryface12
Well done on finishing! I dropped my second subject (music) then too. Primary or secondary? :smile:

Doing a combined is so much more work than you ever think! Primary with SEND! Very excited to start x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending