The Student Room Group

Getting a B at AS level

Hey looking for advice from anyone who knows here
Just got AS results back for maths AAB with both A’s over 90 UMS and a B which is one mark below an A(79) Will oxford care about that B? My options are remark I suppose but not sure if worth it for maths Or I could drop maths since I’m doing 4 a levels atm so I don’t have to declare those AS results if I do indeed drop it
GCSES we’re fine so that part of the application is solid , just concerned about maths
Any help appreciated😜 thanks Guys
Original post by Handwritingman
Just got AS results back for maths AAB with both A’s over 90 UMS and a B which is one mark below an A(79) Will oxford care about that B? My options are remark I suppose but not sure if worth it for maths Or I could drop maths since I’m doing 4 a levels atm so I don’t have to declare those AS results if I do indeed drop it
GCSES we’re fine so that part of the application is solid , just concerned about maths

Thanks for posting.

Before commenting, could we ask what you you are intending to apply for and what your other A-levels are?

Brasenose Admissions

You have to declare all your quals. Only your final maths grade will show up on your application though unless you're applying for something that needs maths. You can drop the maths if you want though if that will help you do better and concentrate with the other subjects.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for posting.

Before commenting, could we ask what you you are intending to apply for and what your other A-levels are?

Brasenose Admissions

Thanks for replying!Intending to read History, so studying Maths, Latin, Greek and History .Current predictions are A*A*AA , the A stars being in History and Greek.Also, I’ve read Oxford don’t look at individual modules for AS , only overall UMS totalled together for grade- so I can I put that on my ucas instead of each module ?Thanks
Thanks for replying!Intending to read History, so studying Maths, Latin, Greek and History .Current predictions are A*A*AA , the A stars being in History and Greek.Also, I’ve read Oxford don’t look at individual modules for AS , only overall UMS totalled together for grade- so I can I put that on my ucas instead of each module ?Thanks

Grades go on the application and you would be fine with History and two of the other three A-levels or all three if that's what you feel comfortable with.

Our general advice is to discuss dropping A-levels and/or resitting modules in unreformed modules with teachers.

That said ... it is perhaps worth observing that some applicants seeking entry on courses with three A-level offers employ the tactic of dropping a fourth A-level after receiving their offer decisions. Selectors are, however, wise to the dropping tactic and so there is no advantage in presenting with additional A-levels yet to be taken.
Grades go on the application and you would be fine with History and two of the other three A-levels or all three if that's what you feel comfortable with.

Our general advice is to discuss dropping A-levels and/or resitting modules in unreformed modules with teachers.

That said ... it is perhaps worth observing that some applicants seeking entry on courses with three A-level offers employ the tactic of dropping a fourth A-level after receiving their offer decisions. Selectors are, however, wise to the dropping tactic and so there is no advantage in presenting with additional A-levels yet to be taken.

I’m keeping up with all 4 since I’m enjoying them all at the moment.
Regarding AS, does that mean I only put my overall grade,not the modules, on my ucas?Also, I presume AS results will have little weight this year in offers since so many courses have gone linear, or will my B prove detrimental to my application?

Once again, I hope I speak for all of TSR in saying what an enormous help you are for seeking clarification, so thank you very much!
@BrasenoseAdm, just a quick question also, though it is technically speaking optional to declare individual module results, is it preferred at Oxford? Or is it the case if they don't, they assume you have something to hide? In my case I'd be applying for PPE if that makes a difference, thanks.
Original post by NamesAreEffort
@BrasenoseAdm, just a quick question also, though it is technically speaking optional to declare individual module results, is it preferred at Oxford? Or is it the case if they don't, they assume you have something to hide? In my case I'd be applying for PPE if that makes a difference, thanks.

Module grades should be declared. Sometimes school references refer to ums scores if they are particularly good but this is not universal and Oxford does not require it. As you will have read in the media, AS entries are declining in any case.
Module grades should be declared. Sometimes school references refer to ums scores if they are particularly good but this is not universal and Oxford does not require it. As you will have read in the media, AS entries are declining in any case.

Presumably this means they will have far less weight in the final decision?
Presumably this means they will have far less weight in the final decision?

It looks that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending