The Student Room Group

Sixth form options

Should I pick psychology or politics to go with economics and computer science
Original post by Teinedbsk
Should I pick psychology or politics to go with economics and computer science

Do you have any thoughts as to what you might like to do with those A levels? University? (If so, what course?) An apprenticeship? (If so, in what field?) A job? (If so, doing what?) Something else?

Have you any idea which you'd enjoy more? Or be better at?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Do you have any thoughts as to what you might like to do with those A levels? University? (If so, what course?) An apprenticeship? (If so, in what field?) A job? (If so, doing what?) Something else?
Have you any idea which you'd enjoy more? Or be better at?

I really want to do an apprenticeship in the finance/accounting sector

OK. So search for finance/accounting apprenticeships that you might like to do after A levels, as see what their entry requirements are in terms of A level subjects. Do they have a preferred list of subjects, for example, or any essential subjects?

A starting point might be this page on the Government's Apprenticeships web site, where you can search for "Legal, finance and accounting" apprenticeships near you. I just did a search using a random postcode, and looked at three which were focusing on finance and accounting (rather than law) and this is what they they said in terms of required qualifications:

Accounts Apprentice (James Hambro & Partners LLP)
A Level or equivalent 3 good A levels / including Maths at grade A-B (Grade (A*-C/9-4 or equivalent)) Essential

AAT Finance Apprentice (Royal Albert Hall)
GCSE or equivalent Basic Maths (Grade 9/A* - 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Standard English (Grade 9/A* - 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Any (Grade A-C) Essential

Accountancy Apprenticeship AAT/ICAEW (Orbis Investment Advisory Limited)
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade B/5) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade B/6) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade B) Desired

So the last one would prefer a grade B in A level Maths, whilst the other two didn't state any A level subject preference. This is a tiny sample, but illustrates the point that it's always worth looking at the next step, to ensure that what you're planning to do (A level subjects in this case) will get you where you want to go.

Neither Psychology or Politics are really associated with Accounting and Finance, and nor to they really overlap with Economics or Computer Science. So you should just pick the subject you're likely to enjoy most, and get the best grade in. :smile:

Most of these apprenticeships have no specific a-level subjects they prefer. Usually Maths is helpful - but just pick the A-level subjects you will enjoy the most. It's so much easier to do well in something you enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest