The Student Room Group

Sociology Job prospects/Careers

I'm considering studying Sociology at University of Nottingham. Is the course Sociology rich in employment opportunities and are they any specific careers graduates take after picking Sociology?
Thanks
Original post by ConvertedWinger
I'm considering studying Sociology at University of Nottingham. Is the course Sociology rich in employment opportunities and are they any specific careers graduates take after picking Sociology?
Thanks

No matter what people say, Sociology gives you a variety in employment opportunities. I went into teaching but you learn so many transferable skills that you can show off when you eventually start applying for jobs (being analytical, research, conducting interviews, statistics, presenting work). People go into the civil service, working for a charity, HR, public relations, communications... this is all helped by what you actually do at the university too (people went into journalism from my course because they wrote for the student newspaper). I would say the only specific job would be going into social research, but other than that there's not really much stopping you from doing the same jobs as someone with politics, geography, history etc as their degree too - especially from Nottingham Uni.
thanks, do or did you study Sociology at University?
thanks, do or did you study Sociology at University?

I studied sociology at Sheffield Uni :smile:
Original post by blondie :)
I studied sociology at Sheffield Uni :smile:

Did you enjoy studying it? What are the main pros and cons of studying Sociology for you?
I'm considering studying it at Sheffield, Nottingham or Warwick :wink:
Did you enjoy studying it? What are the main pros and cons of studying Sociology for you?
I'm considering studying it at Sheffield, Nottingham or Warwick :wink:

I absolutely loved studying sociology! So much so that I'm going back to Sheffield in September to study Social Research with my dissertation in the sociology department!

Pros:
- The University in general, it's a fantastic uni with an excellent students union. I couldn't recommend Sheffield enough to anyone.
- A really good variety of modules.
- You get to do a lot of practical and hands on research, which sounds scary at first but eventually you'll learn to really enjoy it!
- You get to research your own interests, so you might do a module on Families but then you choose what YOU would like to research about and find out more about, this is especially in third year. I did an essay on Disney Films once!
- They're going to start to build a new social sciences building so you'll benefit from that!
- You can choose modules in your first year that are from other subjects
- Sheffield was ranked in the Guardian (I think) as in the Top 5 for sociology in the country. :smile:

Cons:
- Not many contact hours, so you don't really feel like you get your moneys worth, but this is the same in most sociology courses whatever university.
- Group work projects, but again most university degrees will make you do some sort of group work.
I absolutely loved studying sociology! So much so that I'm going back to Sheffield in September to study Social Research with my dissertation in the sociology department!

Pros:
- The University in general, it's a fantastic uni with an excellent students union. I couldn't recommend Sheffield enough to anyone.
- A really good variety of modules.
- You get to do a lot of practical and hands on research, which sounds scary at first but eventually you'll learn to really enjoy it!
- You get to research your own interests, so you might do a module on Families but then you choose what YOU would like to research about and find out more about, this is especially in third year. I did an essay on Disney Films once!
- They're going to start to build a new social sciences building so you'll benefit from that!
- You can choose modules in your first year that are from other subjects
- Sheffield was ranked in the Guardian (I think) as in the Top 5 for sociology in the country. :smile:

Cons:
- Not many contact hours, so you don't really feel like you get your moneys worth, but this is the same in most sociology courses whatever university.
- Group work projects, but again most university degrees will make you do some sort of group work.

Wow that sounds great! I'm definitely going to consider doing Sociology at Sheffield.
What do you mean by contact hours? Sociology doesn't require many lectures?
Wow that sounds great! I'm definitely going to consider doing Sociology at Sheffield.
What do you mean by contact hours? Sociology doesn't require many lectures?

Yeah you probably have about 8 contact hours a week (lectures and seminars which are like a classroom group) and this can drop down to 4 hours a week in third year! As you are expected to do independent work :smile: but it is very common for many subjects to have that!
Yeah you probably have about 8 contact hours a week (lectures and seminars which are like a classroom group) and this can drop down to 4 hours a week in third year! As you are expected to do independent work :smile: but it is very common for many subjects to have that!

Ok that's fine then, thanks for answering my questions thoroughly :smile: It's really helpful.
I'm a bit late to the party here, but given the scarcity of threads regarding Sociology I figured I'd jump in.

I would say if your considering Sociology then it would be good to get an idea of what the subject is all about, if you didn't study it at A level, just to make sure it's what you wanna do.

Other than that though, if you're interested in it then I would say go for it. The general consensus seems to be the subject of your degree is pretty much irrelevant so just pick something you're interested in.

As far as career prospects go, it's pretty open ended so you're not tied down to a particular vocation like you would be in, say a nursing degree.

But yeah, my advice would be just pick a course that you think you'll have a passion for and the rest will sort itself out.

Also, Blondie, you said that you went into teaching- out of curiosity what level do you teach and what subject?
Original post by Stewart Dent
I'm a bit late to the party here, but given the scarcity of threads regarding Sociology I figured I'd jump in.

I would say if your considering Sociology then it would be good to get an idea of what the subject is all about, if you didn't study it at A level, just to make sure it's what you wanna do.

Other than that though, if you're interested in it then I would say go for it. The general consensus seems to be the subject of your degree is pretty much irrelevant so just pick something you're interested in.

As far as career prospects go, it's pretty open ended so you're not tied down to a particular vocation like you would be in, say a nursing degree.

But yeah, my advice would be just pick a course that you think you'll have a passion for and the rest will sort itself out.

Also, Blondie, you said that you went into teaching- out of curiosity what level do you teach and what subject?

Primary, as I can't really teach in secondary (well, there's just not much calling for sociology/citizenship) and plus... teenagers. :ahhhhh:
Primary, as I can't really teach in secondary (well, there's just not much calling for sociology/citizenship) and plus... teenagers. :ahhhhh:

Primary or secondary I've got a lot of respect for teachers given all the **** they have to put up with, I couldn't deal with it.
Primary or secondary I've got a lot of respect for teachers given all the **** they have to put up with, I couldn't deal with it.

And for that reason I'm going to do Supply whilst doing a Masters in Social Research this year (in the hope of going into Education Research) :biggrin::biggrin:
Education research, gonna be honest had to google that. So educational researchers try to make the education system more fair, effective, is that right?

Thanks, my student room app is playing up so I've only just seen this:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending