The Student Room Group

I can't find the right degree for me!!!! Psych or Social work???

I took biology, psychology, and sociology at A Level. I have always had my head set on doing a psychology degree but as I look into it more it seems too sciency, and even though I enjoy science I would like a job working with people (especially children and adolescents) rather than research/neuroscience.

I understand that after a psychology degree, you are not a trained psychologist therefore it is much less employable than many other jobs as to get into the psychological field you have to do a master's, Ph.D./ doctorate which are all competitive. You can also not change e.g. from forensic to educational psychology and move around as easily as you can in e.g. social work. where it seems you are pigeonholed less.

I am very conflicted - there are aspects of many degrees I enjoy but want to get one that is employable and in demand at the end of an undergrad, where I can work with children, easily move around, and work in different settings and sectors whilst also feeling like I am making a difference.

I am an academic therefore have always thought I would pursue something medical rather than social but this seems to mean not working directly with patients which I want to do. I want to get into the field of mental health asap and not spend 10 years working to become a clinical psychologist which involves too much research etc.

I understand you can become a psychotherapist with a social work degree which is something I am seriously looking into.

Some careers and courses I've looked at o help get into my head:
- Psychology (w/ neuroscience, w/education, w/coumselling)
- Joint honors in Psychology and Biology
-Education (studies, teaching)
-Nursing
-Social Work
-Paramedic Science
-Occupational therapy
-Physiology
Reply 1
Original post by maria511
I would like a job working with people (especially children and adolescents) rather than research/neuroscience.

Have a look at
Education with Psychology - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/education/ba-education-with-psychology/
Sociology with Psychology - https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/courses/undergraduate/sociology-with-psychology
Childhood Studies - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/childhood-studies/
Childhood and Youth Studies with Psychology - https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/ba-hons-childhood-and-youth-studies-with-psychology
etc etc
I’m in literally having the same problem ! I picked the exact same a levels as you and I can’t
I took biology, psychology, and sociology at A Level. I have always had my head set on doing a psychology degree but as I look into it more it seems too sciency, and even though I enjoy science I would like a job working with people (especially children and adolescents) rather than research/neuroscience.

I understand that after a psychology degree, you are not a trained psychologist therefore it is much less employable than many other jobs as to get into the psychological field you have to do a master's, Ph.D./ doctorate which are all competitive. You can also not change e.g. from forensic to educational psychology and move around as easily as you can in e.g. social work. where it seems you are pigeonholed less.

I am very conflicted - there are aspects of many degrees I enjoy but want to get one that is employable and in demand at the end of an undergrad, where I can work with children, easily move around, and work in different settings and sectors whilst also feeling like I am making a difference.

I am an academic therefore have always thought I would pursue something medical rather than social but this seems to mean not working directly with patients which I want to do. I want to get into the field of mental health asap and not spend 10 years working to become a clinical psychologist which involves too much research etc.

I understand you can become a psychotherapist with a social work degree which is something I am seriously looking into.

-Nursing
-Social Work
-Paramedic Science
-Occupational therapy
-Physiology

@maria511

From your post, it sounds like social work or working as a mental health nurse would suit your interests.

There is a huge demand for more social workers and mental health nurses, so there is definitely employability in these areas.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 5 months ago)

-Nursing
-Social Work
-Paramedic Science
-Occupational therapy
-Physiology

Morning!

In my opinion, one of the best things you can do to narrow down which degree/university you want to do/attend, is attend an Open Day. At Swansea, we have a wide variety of courses on offer that seem as if they would meet your interests.

Why not pop along to one of our Open Days and check us out? The next one is on the 11th of November.

Best wishes,
Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.
(edited 5 months ago)

-Nursing
-Social Work
-Paramedic Science
-Occupational therapy
-Physiology

Hiya! :hello:

From just reading your thread I just thought I would suggest my course Health and well-being or at least something similar. My course is a mix of psychology and sociology and gives you a wide field for career options :smartass:. One thing I would also recommend is looking at the modules taught within as this can help with potential career options as well. Here is a link to my undergraduate course at De Montfort where it is explained further in depth, please do have a look :smile: but some of the modules for example are: Psychological and Social theories of health and illness, applied social research methods and mental health and well-being. I am currently in my second year studying. Please feel free to ask any more questions about the course, perhaps you can even come to our next open day to hear about the course from a lecturer and hear more about potential careers through this degree. Incase you are interested our next Open Day is November 18th and here is the link to our website.

Hope this helps,
Maddie :heart: second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
Hi

There is some great advice on here already, I think attending some open days would really help you. If you did want to go down the education route, you could do a Psychology degree and then do a PGCE PCET if you wanted to teach in a college, or you could do a course which allows you to obtain QTS which means you can teach in high school. There are a lot more teaching opportunities for Psychology than something like Sociology for instance

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending