The Student Room Group

Will i struggle?

I've heard that the accountancy exams are difficult, I'm wondering whether i will find them a step to far... I managed A*AB (B was only 1.25% off, may remark) in Econ, History and GovPol. I've heard stories of many trainees struggling with the exams.

So basically the question is am I a suitable candidate in order to be able to have a realistic chance of passing the majority of the exams first time with plenty of hard work?

TIA.
Forgot to add that i also got a B in AS maths last year if that makes any difference.
Reply 2
Which accountancy exams are you talking about? I can only speak for the ACA as that's what I'm doing.

The exams are difficult and you need to work hard to pass them. My A levels are quite similar to yours, and I'm finding them difficult, but I've also passed 12 first time. They're quite different to anything you do at university or A levels.
The exams are tough but the training at the top firms is world class. You are surrounded by intelligent people who will help push you through
Original post by Kre
Which accountancy exams are you talking about? I can only speak for the ACA as that's what I'm doing.

The exams are difficult and you need to work hard to pass them. My A levels are quite similar to yours, and I'm finding them difficult, but I've also passed 12 first time. They're quite different to anything you do at university or A levels.

Yes, its the ACA.

Is there much difference between the other exam providers such as the ACCA, AAT and CIMA- My limited knowledge has led me to believe that the CIMA is favoured by more management consultancy firms and therefore has less audit content.

In addition after some research the AAT seem to be more basic.
Original post by Skyewoods
The exams are tough but the training at the top firms is world class. You are surrounded by intelligent people who will help push you through

Thats reassuring, its a 'Big 4' Firm.
Reply 6
Original post by citibankrec
Yes, its the ACA.

Is there much difference between the other exam providers such as the ACCA, AAT and CIMA- My limited knowledge has led me to believe that the CIMA is favoured by more management consultancy firms and therefore has less audit content.

In addition after some research the AAT seem to be more basic.

The ACA and ACCA are very similar, they're both financial accounting qualifications. The AAT is a stepping stone to the ACA/ACCA - it doesn't make you a qualified accountant, and it's a level below the others. CIMA is a management accounting qualification rather than financial accounting like the ACA/ACCA.

Companies in industry prefer to put their grads through CIMA as it focuses on internal management accounting (budgets, finance, forecasts etc.), whereas audit firms will put their grads through ACA/ACCA/CA as it focuses on external financial services (auditing, raising finance, advisory etc.).

End of the day, you'll be a qualified accountant whatever route you take. The ACA/ACCA probably leaves you with more options though as it's a fairly straightforward transition to go from practice to industry with the ACA/ACCA but a CIMA accountant probably wouldn't be able to make the move the other way.
Original post by citibankrec
Thats reassuring, its a 'Big 4' Firm.

Which firm are you doing Audit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending