The Student Room Group

So.. what would you pick?

I'm hopeful I'll get an offer from Portsmouth, and if I do then I have a choice to make. If I get offers from the other unis in the mix then I'm really stuffed, especially if I adore them! :P

Basically, I was completely wowed by one Uni (Hallam). The facilities were amazing. The staff were wonderful and all work as radiotherapists. I called up to check something and the admissions tutor knew who I was. There is such a focus on the course that I adore - I feel like I would matter. I could probably take my car if I picked my accommodation wisely. There was a wealth of info on my course, I really know what I can expect. And all the students I spoke to were so enthusiastic and friendly, as were the prospective people on the day! I noted a fair few mature students... and there's 50 places on this course.

Downsides? It's miles away - countered somewhat by my being able to drive. I could end up on placement even further away which would suck :frown: Financial issues and the like. Realistically though I could drive to a good 5/9 potential placement sites and that would be reimbursed. And little to no holidays but to be honest that's more than I get now. :smile:

Sheffield itself? A bit hilly, the campus is a bit far out of town - seem to need to get a bus really.

Onto Portsmouth where I had to sit through a talk about diagnostics mainly - it was like an open day though.. nothing beyond the usual and no specific module info, course structure. Placements are Pompey and S'oton and S'oton would require commuting too. I live much closer to Portsmouth and so coming home would be easy - holidays etc too. Seems they don't have much beyond normal lectures though and I didn't meet a single radiotherapist. I love the city itself - nice and flat and Gunwharf Quays is wonderful! All in walking distance... no need for buses. Wouldn't be able to take a car. I just can't shake the idea that SHU has far more support for radiotherapy, Ports seems to have more focus on diagnostics... 15 places on this course..

So... what would you do?

The uni with seemingly the best course but locationwise not so great...
Or the one in the better location with not such a great course...

I was really impressed with Portsmouth at their open day but feel that's come down a peg or two now. I felt so at home at Hallam. But could it really be home to me so far away from my proper home? When all is said and done I might end up with a job in a hospital up north....

Maybe I'm just being pressured toward Pompey coz everyone else wants me to go there... as it's so much closer.

I know, no one can answer this for me. But I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences? What they did... why.. are they glad?
Go for the course - you make life what you want to when you are there and your circumstances may change.

Being somewhere where you are a name and not a number is so important and you obviously feel really at home there already!

Being happy in your work will make a huge difference so I say the course wins every time!:biggrin:
Hope this helps.
Portsmouth is the most horrible, disgusting place to live and work.
Reply 3
I don't have a similar experience but I'd go for Hallam - if the course is best and you felt at home there, then that is the main point of going to university (in my opinion). How often were you planning on commuting? Don't be pressured by other people wanting you nearby if you don't mind being further away either - it's your life at the end of the day.

Then again, if one of your main priorities is being near home, then obviously that is a factor too. I'd figure out what you want first, ignoring everyone else, then see.

Sorry if that was no use! :smile:
Reply 4
freetofly
How often were you planning on commuting?

In terms of hospitals, it occupies 50% of the course, maybe a tad more even with Hallam, so I would get some good use out of having a car so long as where I ended up was somewhere I could drive!

In terms of coming home - honestly, no idea. I can't imagine I'd have much time for it but maybe 2-3 times a session.. so less than once a month.

Harriellie
Portsmouth is the most horrible, disgusting place to live and work.

Others have said that but it seems like such a nice town! ><
Reply 5
suek
In terms of coming home - honestly, no idea. I can't imagine I'd have much time for it but maybe 2-3 times a session.. so less than once a month.

Seeing as you don't plan on going home every weekend or something like that, the distance from home won't actually be that significant.

Maybe look at some hospitals in the respective places to see where you might like to gain experience? As hospitals are so significant to your degree. However, the possibility of having a car at Hallam is obviously another plus!

Alternatively, try a method I heard about. Put both in a hat, and pick one. If you feel disappointed, you know you should choose the other one. :smile:
whichever ranks higher on the overall league table.

or one thats cheaper.
Reply 7
suek
I felt so at home at Hallam.

I think you've pretty much answered the question for yourself there :smile:

As to location - you have a car, so being far from home surely isn't that big a deal? You may very well find that getting caught up in uni life you really appreciate having the distance and being more independent etc. I certainly do.
Reply 8
Reread your own post and you can see clearly which uni u want.

Latest

Trending

Trending