The Student Room Group

what do i pick for 6th form ?????

im a y11 and i'm predicted 8s&9s for all my subjects. i consider myself equally good at them all and i like them all equally too (exception of maths though i like maths a bit more than the rest and i'm also better at it than my other subjects). i think i want to do econ in the future so im probably gonna do maths & further and ofc econ asw. issue is i have like no idea what to do for my 4th - what's the best subject to do in this situation?
Original post by mehrs
im a y11 and i'm predicted 8s&9s for all my subjects. i consider myself equally good at them all and i like them all equally too (exception of maths though i like maths a bit more than the rest and i'm also better at it than my other subjects). i think i want to do econ in the future so im probably gonna do maths & further and ofc econ asw. issue is i have like no idea what to do for my 4th - what's the best subject to do in this situation?

I would have a look at the A-level specifications of subjects that interest you for the sixth forms you are applying to and see if that helps you narrow it down.
i take economics, geography, maths and further maths and i want to do econ at uni

geography fits well with econ as there is some overlap in terms of things like globalisation, development, inequality etc.
history is also a good call but it depends on what modules your sch does - my friend does history and she said they are doing a politics topic which is very related to economics
also if your sch offers it then politics a level would go well too

tbh you have a good combo of subjects so you just need to make sure the fourth one you pick is one you enjoy - i think any subject would be fine
Original post by mehrs

I'd suggest geography as its meant to have a bit of overlap with economics somewhere in the human side, is a facilitating subject and shows a breadth in skills as its quite different to your other subjects
Reply 4
If you want to challenge yourself then pick a science for your 4th subject, if not, pick something similar to Economics like Geography or Politics. Bear in mind though, A levels are much harder than GCSE and so you might find doing 4 “hard” subjects a bit overwhelming. Don’t be a masochist like me and pick all the “difficult” subjects because it looks “impressive” to universities. It doesn’t, all that matters is that you get the required grades so you can move on from this stage of your life, make it easier for yourself. Maths, Further maths, Economics, and Geography sounds like a very good combination of subjects to me.
Reply 5
Original post by mehrs

Chemistry, physics, or computer science as the fourth choice would leave the most doors open but if you know you want to do econ then you should just pick a subject you’re interested in or maybe something like geography which is linked as someone above pointed out

Quick Reply

Latest