The Student Room Group

What subject do you learn more from and has more job opportunities???

Economics or Psychology or why for a third subject someone who wants to study Mpharm (PHARMACY) at the UoM and wants to know which do you learn more from and is more useful in the world and what does Manchester mean when they say you need chem and either bio or maths and third subject to be a rigorous and academic subject pls let me know what that means and let me know which do you recommend and why???
Original post by aryc_30
Economics or Psychology or why for a third subject someone who wants to study Mpharm (PHARMACY) at the UoM and wants to know which do you learn more from and is more useful in the world and what does Manchester mean when they say you need chem and either bio or maths and third subject to be a rigorous and academic subject pls let me know what that means and let me know which do you recommend and why???

A lot of this isn't in proper sentences, and it's more difficult to decipher than deciphering code.

Economics or Psychology or why for a third subject someone who wants to study Mpharm (PHARMACY) at the UoM and wants to know which do you learn more from and is more useful in the world
Could not understand this. As far as I know UoM doesn't ask questions like which A Level you learn more from or is more useful. Are you mixing multiple questions together?

what does Manchester mean when they say you need chem and either bio or maths and third subject to be a rigorous and academic subject
The first A Level needs to be chemistry (makes sense because you're doing Pharmacy, which involves a lot of chemistry), the second in biology or mathematics (a related science subject that is useful in the course, but not as much as chemistry), and an academic subject.
"Academic subjects include those subjects that you can study and master in higher educational levels. For instance, Mathematicians study Maths, while Historians study history." (see: https://www.phi-tuition.co.uk/2017/12/18/academic-and-non-academic-subjects/).
For examples of academic subjects, see: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6587124

Manchester usually list out a series of approved academic subjects that you can take as your third subject. As they didn't for Pharmacy, I would say it's a subject that has a lot of theory to it but less emphasis on application. These tend to be your traditional school subjects such as: economics, psychology, physics, philosophy, maths, biology, chemistry, computer science, history, languages, politics. English, classics, geography, RE. The subjects that focus more on application tend to be regarded as more vocational than academic e.g. business, law, art, music, PE/sports.
The applied subjects tend to be not as difficult as the more theoretical subjects, and universities do care about your ability to handle difficult material.

let me know which do you recommend and why?
I studied elements of both subjects, so I can't really give a recommendation. Both subjects should be accepted by UoM so it should help you meet the above requirements. However, it might be worth noting the following:

Both subjects are highly theoretical, so they are usually of very limited use in practice

Economics tend to go better with maths

Psychology tend to go better with biology

Neither economics nor psychology are required subjects, so you're purely doing them for the grades

Neither subjects have much relevance to pharmacy, so they won't really help you in the degree

Psychology would look at the material as if they are research studies i.e. less theoretical debate and more on research methods

Economics would look at models and theoretical debates more and less on what actually happens in the real world i.e. application

Other than the above, I would focus on picking the subject where you can get the higher grade, since it's pretty important you get the grades to do MPharm at Manchester. I would secondly look at which subject interests you more (if you're doing pharmacy, there is a chance that this would be psychology more than economics). If you don't know which of the 2 subjects you would be more interested in, I would recommend the following:

Find out what the exam boards your college are doing the subjects in

Look at the specification

Look on YouTube for tutorial videos on the specific topics

Look at the revision guides for an overview of the material (ideally exam board specific books, but they are generally similiar in terms of content)

Look at the past exam papers and thoroughly look at the exam questions vs answers/mark scheme to see if they are to your liking

Ask for second opinions from people who did the A Levels (I didn't mind either, but I'm biased)

If you ask me to pick one, I would lean more towards economics because I am more of an analytical thinker, like maths, love models (no pun intended), and I have a thing for theoretical debates. I did enjoy psychology, but more for the theoretical debates than the focus on research methods.
Reply 2
So basically this is a summary what your saying you think I should lean to economics from your experience on studying both a level economics and psychology also so are you basically saying I would get in if choose either of them btw I’m doing chem and bio still unsure what to pick either psychology or economics btw hate maths and physics in this case which will be the better option psychology or economics and which will help me more in the future???

Original post by MindMax2000
A lot of this isn't in proper sentences, and it's more difficult to decipher than deciphering code.

Economics or Psychology or why for a third subject someone who wants to study Mpharm (PHARMACY) at the UoM and wants to know which do you learn more from and is more useful in the world
Could not understand this. As far as I know UoM doesn't ask questions like which A Level you learn more from or is more useful. Are you mixing multiple questions together?

what does Manchester mean when they say you need chem and either bio or maths and third subject to be a rigorous and academic subject
The first A Level needs to be chemistry (makes sense because you're doing Pharmacy, which involves a lot of chemistry), the second in biology or mathematics (a related science subject that is useful in the course, but not as much as chemistry), and an academic subject.
"Academic subjects include those subjects that you can study and master in higher educational levels. For instance, Mathematicians study Maths, while Historians study history." (see: https://www.phi-tuition.co.uk/2017/12/18/academic-and-non-academic-subjects/).
For examples of academic subjects, see: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6587124

Manchester usually list out a series of approved academic subjects that you can take as your third subject. As they didn't for Pharmacy, I would say it's a subject that has a lot of theory to it but less emphasis on application. These tend to be your traditional school subjects such as: economics, psychology, physics, philosophy, maths, biology, chemistry, computer science, history, languages, politics. English, classics, geography, RE. The subjects that focus more on application tend to be regarded as more vocational than academic e.g. business, law, art, music, PE/sports.
The applied subjects tend to be not as difficult as the more theoretical subjects, and universities do care about your ability to handle difficult material.

I studied elements of both subjects, so I can't really give a recommendation. Both subjects should be accepted by UoM so it should help you meet the above requirements. However, it might be worth noting the following:

Both subjects are highly theoretical, so they are usually of very limited use in practice

Neither economics nor psychology are required subjects, so you're purely doing them for the grades

Neither subjects have much relevance to pharmacy, so they won't really help you in the degree

Psychology would look at the material as if they are research studies i.e. less theoretical debate and more on research methods

Economics would look at models and theoretical debates more and less on what actually happens in the real world i.e. application

Other than the above, I would focus on picking the subject where you can get the higher grade, since it's pretty important you get the grades to do MPharm at Manchester. I would secondly look at which subject interests you more (if you're doing pharmacy, there is a chance that this would be psychology more than economics). If you don't know which of the 2 subjects you would be more interested in, I would recommend the following:

Look at the revision guides for an overview of the material (ideally exam board specific books, but they are generally similiar in terms of content)

Look at the past exam papers and thoroughly look at the exam questions vs answers/mark scheme to see if they are to your liking

Ask for second opinions from people who did the A Levels (I didn't mind either, but I'm biased)

If you ask me to pick one, I would lean more towards economics because I am more of an analytical thinker, like maths, love models (no pun intended), and I have a thing for theoretical debates. I did enjoy psychology, but more for the theoretical debates than the focus on research methods.
Original post by aryc_30
So basically this is a summary what your saying you think I should lean to economics from your experience on studying both a level economics and psychology also so are you basically saying I would get in if choose either of them btw I’m doing chem and bio still unsure what to pick either psychology or economics btw hate maths and physics in this case which will be the better option psychology or economics and which will help me more in the future???

It would really help if you can write in proper sentences. It's sometimes difficult to read what you wrote.

So basically this is a summary what your saying you think I should lean to economics
On the contrary, I am saying I would lean more towards economics because of what I like. What I am saying to you is to pick the subject you think you would like more and more likely to do well in.

from your experience on studying both a level economics and psychology
Technically, I did AS psychology and a degree in economics. However, I have read some of the material for both at A Level standard. If you want a more specific opinion from A Level students, you should ask someone else as well.

are you basically saying I would get in if choose either of them
Yeah. Although I would never know what the admission staff would ultimately think or what will happen in the future, both subjects are acceptable for admission purposes. Whether you would get in or not would depend on a list of other factors e.g. what grades you get, your personal statement, whether you have done anything related to pharmacy, etc.

I’m doing chem and bio still unsure what to pick either psychology or economics
Psychology would have more relevance and overlaps more with bio than economics does. Whether you would do better in the subject or even prefer the subject would depend on you (I don't think anyone can tell you that).

which will help me more in the future?
If you're going into pharmacy, very likely neither. The key subject would still be chemistry; everything else is secondary and doesn't have as much relevance.
If you're not going into pharmacy, then I don't know - I don't use crystal balls.
If you're referring to your previous questions that I have answered about investment banking, cyber security, software engineering, or accounting, then economics might have very minor relevance, but you're better off with maths. Psychology whilst useful in investment banking, the A Level subject doesn't really look into the practical applications as much so you're just looking at the theory and trying to find evidence whether XYZ is really how the brain/mind works.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000

No I’m saying which subject is better for the course mpharm and btw I do not like maths and physics so should I pick psychology because you did say it aligns well with biology and chem but like which is the better rigorous subject for example like which if you get the same grade for example an a in both which looks better???
Original post by aryc_30
No I’m saying which subject is better for the course mpharm and btw I do not like maths and physics so should I pick psychology because you did say it aligns well with biology and chem but like which is the better rigorous subject for example like which if you get the same grade for example an a in both which looks better???

Please use punctuation where appropriate.

Economics is more rigorous. However, I don't think it matters for an MPharm degree which of the 2 you pick so long you have the grade for it.

There is no real maths in economics, but there is logical thinking. If you go on YouTube and type in a random topic like "what is supply and demand", or "IS-LM model", watch the video and not get put off by it then you're fine with it. If you are put off by it, then go for psychology.

As I don't do MPharm, you can get a second opinion from someone who does, but it's likely that he/she would echo the same opinion as mine.
Original post by aryc_30

Both economics and psychology are rigorous subjects, however, for the field you want to get into, I would pick Psychology. There are quantitative and qualitative research involved and the use of biological understanding (i.e. biological psychology, neuropsychology, cognitive psychology) within the field. Chemistry is not really involved in psychology.

Hope this answers your inquiry.

All the best,
Dana Kafoud
4th-year BSc (Hons) Criminal Psychology student at the University of Essex Online
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending