The Student Room Group

First job interview - any advice?

I have a job interview at Waitrose this week, and I've never had a job (or job interview) before, so was wondering if anyone has any advice?
They pretty much always ask what you think customer service is, so look up a good example answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you looked on glassdoor? Try that website might have some good pointers 😊 otherwise, make sure you have examples of experience in customer service, working in a team, good communication skills etc. I'd look at the Waitrose website and look at their values, visions etc. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 3
All of the above + and perhaps as important show lots of enthusiasm and positive energy. This is often the clincher.
Original post by ksma1999
I have a job interview at Waitrose this week, and I've never had a job (or job interview) before, so was wondering if anyone has any advice?

The usual tips and advice:

* Don't be late - always arrive at least 10 minutes early. This is a test to see if you can plan and manage your time well.
* Make a strong handshake with the interviewer - I think this is to test your confidence.
* Dress smartly - never wear jeans to an interview as the interviewer may think you're not seriously interested in the job. First impressions do count!
* Try and answer all of the questions you are being asked. If you don't understand a question - do always ask to repeat or rephrase the question!
* Bring your CV with you - to remind yourself what you have done academically and practically (in other words experience) and what transferable skills and qualities you can bring to the job.

Good luck with it all and please do tell us how you get on after! :yes:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ksma1999

Just tagging Jo in
Original post by Danny Dorito
Just tagging Jo in

Hi @ksma1999

First of all, congratulations on securing an interview, I know how competitive these things can be so making it to that stage is already an achievement!

I think that there are a few basics that go a long way

1. Adhere to the dress code - if they ask for smart dress make sure that you are smartly dressed (no jeans or trainers etc...)
2. Be on time - it sounds obvious but you would be surprised by how many candidates run late for interviews, sometimes it cant be helped (and if this is the case make sure you have a contact number you can call to let them know) Otherwise plan the route and make sure you know where parking is etc..
3. Research - You definitely don't need to know the entire history of the business but some knowledge about the company and the role is always useful.

Other than this I think the key is to be enthusiastic sell yourself, make sure that you highlight how you meet the criteria that they are looking for this way it will be clear to them that you are absolutely the right candidate for the role.

Good luck!

Thank you

Jo
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending