The Student Room Group

Predicted A*AA but no A*s at GCSE- Where can I go?

I'm currently looking at universities for 2018 acceptance and have a question about my GCSEs. For my GCSEs I didn't put in the work I could have and got 5 As, 3 Bs and 3 Cs with an A in English and B in maths. I stepped up my revision a lot this year achieving an A in AS Maths and A* & A in my Psychology and Economics mocks (they're the new spec so I'll do all the exams at the end of 2 years). With these predictions it means I could look at most UK universities (I'm not looking at Oxbridge or any London Unis). My question is at which universities would my lack of A*s lead to a high chance of rejection? Some of the universities I've been looking to study Economics at include Wawrick, Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Manchester. Are any of these highly likely to regect me due to my GCSEs even if I have a good personal statement ect. Additionaly is there any other universities you would recommend where my GCSEs won't be a hindrance to my application but that are still good for Economics .
Thank you in advance to those who reply.
Lucy :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shiningsunset
I'm currently looking at universities for 2018 acceptance and have a question about my GCSEs. For my GCSEs I didn't put in the work I could have and got 5 As, 3 Bs and 3 Cs with an A in English and B in maths. I stepped up my revision a lot this year achieving an A in AS Maths and A* & A in my Psychology and Economics mocks (they're the new spec so I'll do all the exams at the end of 2 years). With these predictions it means I could look at most UK universitys (I'm not looking at Oxbridge or any London Unis). My question is which University's would my lack of A*s lead to a high chance of rejection?Some of the Universitys I've been looking to study Economics at include Wawrick, Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Manchester. Are any of these highly likely to regect me due to my GCSEs even if I have a good personal statement ect. Additionaly is there any other universities you would recommend where my GCSEs won't be a hindrance to my application but that are still good for Economics .

Why aren't you looking at Cambridge or London Unis? Last time I checked, only Oxford give a toss about your GCSEs
I'm currently looking at universities for 2018 acceptance and have a question about my GCSEs. For my GCSEs I didn't put in the work I could have and got 5 As, 3 Bs and 3 Cs with an A in English and B in maths. I stepped up my revision a lot this year achieving an A in AS Maths and A* & A in my Psychology and Economics mocks (they're the new spec so I'll do all the exams at the end of 2 years). With these predictions it means I could look at most UK universitys (I'm not looking at Oxbridge or any London Unis). My question is which University's would my lack of A*s lead to a high chance of rejection?Some of the Universitys I've been looking to study Economics at include Wawrick, Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Manchester. Are any of these highly likely to regect me due to my GCSEs even if I have a good personal statement ect. Additionaly is there any other universities you would recommend where my GCSEs won't be a hindrance to my application but that are still good for Economics .

Your GCSE grades are above average and you have solid AS results and predictions (I assume) - your application will not be disadvantaged if you were to apply to any of the universities you have listed. You could even make a competitive application to Cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
And if you're going to get in somewhere that good, please note: The plural of university is universities, not universitys.
Enjoy applying
Sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors, I'm using my phone to type this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by That'sGreat
Why aren't you looking at Cambridge or London Unis? Last time I checked, only Oxford give a toss about your GCSEs

It requires A*A*A plus I've read that as part of a competitive Economics application for Cambridge you need at least 90 ums per AS maths paper which unfortunately I didn't get even though I still got an A. I'm not looking at London universities purely because I live quite close to London so would like to go somewhere new. Although places like LSE and UCL do look really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cbysea
And if you're going to get in somewhere that good, please note: The plural of university is universities, not universitys.
Enjoy applying

Thanks for pointing this out. I should of checked my post before I submitted it. My phone seems to auto check universities to universitys which is very annoying.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Nottingham?
I've read that as part of a competitive Economics application for Cambridge you need at least 90 ums per AS maths paper which unfortunately I didn't get even though I still got an A. I'm not looking at London universities purely because I live quite close to London so would like to go somewhere new. Although places like LSE and UCL do look really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i averaged 86 UMS in AS maths and posted a thread on here asking if my econ application to Cambridge could still be competitive, and an admissions tutor replied and said yes :smile: so it's worth a shot
Original post by That'sGreat

Cambridge requirements are A*A*A for Economics, and so is UCL. LSE have some requirements of A*A*A*!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending