The Student Room Group

What product would you absolutely not buy own-brand?

Hula hoops or Snackrite 'hoops'?
Kellogg's coco pops or 'choco rice'?
Heinz ketchup or tomato sauce?
McVities biscuits or own brand?

:party::party:

Are there some things that you absolutely cannot buy own-brand?

I will buy off brand on many things- biscuits and cereal are both fine in my experience - but of course ketchup always has to be Heinz!

I once bought 'cheese puffs' instead of Wotsits....definitely not worth it!

So what are some things you won't get the faux version of? Or do you not mind which brand you use for anything? Do you get own brand ketchup!?
Let me know!

:banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Diet Coke / Pepsi - own brands always just taste awful in comparison!
Snacks are often decent own brand
Muller corner yogurt.
I'd never buy the Twix and KitKat ripoffs because they taste too fake.

Own brand Jaffa cakes can taste better.
Own brand Irn Bru
Reply 3
Original post by Ruby1997
Diet Coke / Pepsi - own brands always just taste awful in comparison!
Snacks are often decent own brand

Ooh good one! I don't tend to drink fizzy drinks unless as a mixer, so I do actually buy any old brand generally as I don't taste it much anyway. If drinking it on its own then definitely Coke or Pepsi!
Reply 4
Never own-brand tea! Green tea always seems to taste of chemicals if it isn't Twinings...
Most own brand washing up liquids. I bought Fairy at uni and whilst it was £1 and the cheaper stuff was 30p, it lasted much longer; so did work out cheaper in the long run.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Most own brand washing up liquids. I bought Fairy at uni and whilst it was £1 and the cheaper stuff was 30p, it lasted much longer; so did work out cheaper in the long run.

Good point, some items are definitely worth the extra money. I have bought cleaning products (sponges etc) which have crumbled or broken up whilst I was using them, or lasted a fraction of the time I expected.
Original post by Dhanny
Muller corner yogurt.
I'd never buy the Twix and KitKat ripoffs because they taste too fake.

Lidl's own brand Twix are quite nice. In fact, most of their own brand foods are pretty decent.
Ketchup and baked beans! HAS to be heinz 😂
Cheap earphones
pads have to be Always! otherwise they are very thin and uncomfortable i find :redface:
Vanilla ice cream always has to be mackies. Most cheap own brands are yellow and full of veggie oil
Always buy own-brand coke, ketchup, baked beans but apart from that I'm easy
I won't buy own brand gravy or mayo - always has to be Bisto and Hellmans. I usually buy own brand everything else though - especially bog roll. Never understood the point in buying expensive toilet roll :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rum Ham
I usually buy own brand everything else though - especially bog roll. Never understood the point in buying expensive toilet roll :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I buy own brand loo roll because I can't be bothered to carry it home. :redface: It's not that bad tbh.
I buy own brand loo roll because I can't be bothered to carry it home. :redface: It's not that bad tbh.

is own brand easier to carry home? :laugh:
Agreed on earphones. Most other stuff I wouldn't mind buying the own brand of, just cause I can seldom tell the difference (unless it's something like smart price cola vs coke).
Pretty much everything own brand is fair game, perhaps except plain crisps.
Cheap earphones

has to be a decent brand
I have beats wired and goji wireless..
I buy own brand Waitrose products, nothing else. Looking at own brand products from other brands is scary and disgusting, I'd never buy them.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest