The Student Room Group

are these results good enough to get me to cambridge?

hi. so i got 4A's 2B's and 2C's. will cambridge accept me with these gcse grades hopefully if i do well at A level. thanks
Reply 1
This website suggests there's no official minimum, but that the average is 4-5 A* so yours may be a bit low. However, as they've said, they take everything into account and most of the emphasis is placed on post-16 examination, i.e. your A Levels.
Reply 2
Cambridge don't care too much about GCSEs, not like Oxford does. With really strong A2 predictions or/and AS levels, strong sent in work, a high result in your admissions exam, good personal statement and references - you should be fine APPLYING, and hopefully getting an interview. Actually being accepted (getting an offer) is another matter entirely. If you perform well in your interview (which obviously, you have to have been strong in all the prior things) then you will hopefully get an offer - but they might just not like you. A friend of mine just got A*A*A in their A2, far exceeding what they needed for the Cambridge entry requirements, but still didn't get an offer.

Those are good results - good luck X
Cambridge often asks for multiple A* grades at GCSE and having 2C's won't put you in the best of positions either. Most applicants have a good number of A*s (8 A*s is common amongst Cambridge applicants) yet a lot are still turned down. However, it is not the end of the world. I spoke to a Cambridge representative upon learning their strict GCSE requirements and she told me that they are more interested in your A-levels and tend to be flexible with their requirements for GCSE (in regards to medicine anyway). Oxford, on the other hand, are less lenient and expect the very best GCSE grades.

It is perhaps too early for you to have made your decision on where you wish to study for University so don't obsess over Oxbridge for now but keep it in the back of your mind as a source of motivation. All you need to worry about now is getting ahead of the game for your first year of A-levels.
Original post by rehab1234
hi. so i got 4A's 2B's and 2C's. will cambridge accept me with these gcse grades hopefully if i do well at A level. thanks

Average is 4 or 5 As OR A*s. You're fine. People get in with 0 As (look at Ibz Mo).

Quick Reply

Latest