The Student Room Group

Wrongly marked?

Hi, in my GCSE's I came out with a 4 in maths. I was disappointed in this not because I got a bad result but because I felt that I was wrongly marked. When the unofficial mark came out for maths paper 1, I added up my marks (was very strict on myself) and I got 35 marks (to me it was pretty bad but I was ok with it). Official results came out and I only ended up getting 20/80 which I completely disagree with. Does anyone else feel they were wrongly marked?
Original post by Doggopedia
Hi, in my GCSE's I came out with a 4 in maths. I was disappointed in this not because I got a bad result but because I felt that I was wrongly marked. When the unofficial mark came out for maths paper 1, I added up my marks (was very strict on myself) and I got 35 marks (to me it was pretty bad but I was ok with it). Official results came out and I only ended up getting 20/80 which I completely disagree with. Does anyone else feel they were wrongly marked?

So what you're saying is that using an unofficial mark scheme, you added up your marks without having your exam paper in front of you, and on that basis, you believe an examiner who had your questions in front of them with an official mark scheme is wrong? @Reality Check

You can request a photocopy of your script and proceed with a remark after checking the marking, or you can go ahead with a remark right away.
(edited 6 years ago)

Try and get your paper remarked, if you're certain. Or try getting a scan of your paper back, and check your answers.

Disagree all you want peasent! DO U NOT REALISE U NEED ATLEAST A** IN MATHS TO SUCEED?!?! (In all seriousness here, maths is this: either you get it or you don't, remarks are pointless as you will get the same result.)
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Try and get your paper remarked, if you're certain. Or try getting a scan of your paper back, and check your answers.

Yes that's what we were planning on doing because me and my teacher were very surprised of my results.
Similar case happened with my friend in ICT, he got an A* in the coursework but his overall grade was a C and in the breakdown he got a C in the coursework and exam and he wasn't very happy. We both feel as if we were wrongly marked
Reply 5
I'm sorry that you're disappointed with your result, but unfortunately unofficial mark schemes really aren't a reliable indicator of how you've done in an exam, particularly where there's some subjectivity (for example, the awarding of marks for showing your method), and can cause more harm than good in the long run, as you've discovered. You can always request a remark, but bear in mind that you'll probably need to pay for this, and your grade can either go up or down as a result (though they most commonly stay the same).

The good news is that unless you're dead set on taking A level maths or studying medicine at Oxford, all you really need to do in GCSE maths is pass, which you've done, so there's no need for you to resit it.
Yes that's what we were planning on doing because me and my teacher were very surprised of my results.
Similar case happened with my friend in ICT, he got an A* in the coursework but his overall grade was a C and in the breakdown he got a C in the coursework and exam and he wasn't very happy. We both feel as if we were wrongly marked

If you definitely do feel as if you've got a wrong grade, then do apply for a remark. Sometimes wrong grades are issued, by marking error. Although the chances of a marking error are slim, we're all humans and make mistakes! :smile:

Let me also add: unofficial mark schemes are not a reliable source, so I wouldn't use it as a point of reference.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
If it's Edexcel then you can give your school permission to download your marked script (for free) and the marking can be checked.
Original post by Blue_Cow
So what you're saying is that using an unofficial mark scheme, you added up your marks without having your exam paper in front of you, and on that basis, you believe an examiner who had your questions in front of them with an official mark scheme is wrong? @Reality Check

You can request a photocopy of your script and proceed with a remark after checking the marking, or you can go ahead with a remark right away.

Jesus wept...

Quick Reply

Latest