The Student Room Group

Depressed over predicted grades

Hi,

I'm feeling really depressed after receiving my predicted grades (A*BB). I was hoping on studying medicine (with UCL as my first choice) however this is now extremely unlikely. I've begged my teachers to bump it up, but it was to no avail.

I feel like I've fallen into a spiral of doom, feeling depressed, anxious, and stressed over my future. I've lost all motivation I had, and I feel as if the start of the next academic year will see me perform much worse and lose the will to live.

I've recognised where I've performed poorly (e.g for Biology the main reason for my lost marks was due to lack of specific words), however, I just no longer want to act on it. Even then, I lost over 14 marks in my Biology papers due to incompetence in the teachers marking, but my teachers have refused to add this to my score as it has already been sent off.

I think what made it worse is that some students at my school that are also applying to medicine had access to the 2022 AQA and Edexcel AS/A-Level papers, which just boosted the year average.

I'm probably going to take a gap year or apply to unis that offer a foundation course prior to beginning your medicine course, but even then I have a weird feeling in my head that I just won't fit in with students that are a year younger than me.
Reply 1
For those wondering I got an A* in history, B in both bio and chem
Reply 2
Original post by CptAshGU
Hi,

I've recognised where I've performed poorly (e.g for Biology the main reason for my lost marks was due to lack of specific words), however, I just no longer want to act on it. Even then, I lost over 14 marks in my Biology papers due to incompetence in the teachers marking, but my teachers have refused to add this to my score as it has already been sent off.

What do you mean by 'it's already been sent off' - what has?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
What do you mean by 'it's already been sent off' - what has?

As in each department sends off the grades that they've predicted for their students to the sixth form office (my sixth form is connected a secondary school), and the sixth form team has already released the reports.
Reply 4
Original post by CptAshGU
As in each department sends off the grades that they've predicted for their students to the sixth form office (my sixth form is connected a secondary school), and the sixth form team has already released the reports.

So corrections should be able to be submitted - it's too early for these to be 'final' predicted grades. Get you parents involved if the papers were wrongly marked ...

Quick Reply

Latest