The Student Room Group

GCSE Retakes for med school application

I got a 5 in my GCSE english lit. It's letting my other grades down a bit and decreases my chance of getting a interview for medicine at university and if I retook it to get a 7 or 8 my chances would increase due to the point system. Do you have to state the GCSE was a retake and if so would it damage my chances getting into med school more than just leaving it?
I'm unfamiliar with the new system but it's always been the case that GCSE retakes don't count for medical school admissions. If your other grades are fine, I wouldn't sweat it.
Reply 2
Original post by heather140900
I got a 5 in my GCSE english lit. It's letting my other grades down a bit and decreases my chance of getting a interview for medicine at university and if I retook it to get a 7 or 8 my chances would increase due to the point system. Do you have to state the GCSE was a retake and if so would it damage my chances getting into med school more than just leaving it?

A 5 is better than a C, yes? In that case, forget about it. None of the med schools are going to care about Eng Lit as long as you have maths, Eng Lang and sciences at As or Bs (and some of them don't even care about that). Many med schools do not count resits, and yes, you would have to declare it was a resit, so I would stop worrying. There are very few places it decreases your chance of getting an interview, and resitting it would not change that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending