The Student Room Group

Which to drop

Hi there, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me...

I've just come to the end of my first year studying English Lit, French, Latin and Religious Studies at A Level (planning to apply for English Lit at uni). With the A Level reforms all of these are now linear courses so I didn't sit any AS exams. But my school did give us mock exams from which I was predicted good grades in all 4.

A lot of people have deduced from this that I should keep them all on, but I figured that since I'll most likely be given an offer based on 3 it would be more worthwhile to have 3 subjects that I can put a lot of work into then try and squeeze in 4 (particularly as I found the workload very stressful in year 12).
So long story short, I'd like to drop RS or Latin but cannot seem to decide which. I wondered whether anyone could advise me which would be more useful for an English Lit application or even let me know how they decided which subject to drop.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by __elle__
Hi there, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me...

I've just come to the end of my first year studying English Lit, French, Latin and Religious Studies at A Level (planning to apply for English Lit at uni). With the A Level reforms all of these are now linear courses so I didn't sit any AS exams. But my school did give us mock exams from which I was predicted good grades in all 4.

A lot of people have deduced from this that I should keep them all on, but I figured that since I'll most likely be given an offer based on 3 it would be more worthwhile to have 3 subjects that I can put a lot of work into then try and squeeze in 4 (particularly as I found the workload very stressful in year 12).
So long story short, I'd like to drop RS or Latin but cannot seem to decide which. I wondered whether anyone could advise me which would be more useful for an English Lit application or even let me know how they decided which subject to drop.

It's a shame to drop a subject with nothing to show for it, but I think if I was dropping a subject then my first thought seeing as it would be your third subject (which universities don't mind what it is in almost all cases) would be which was I going to get a better grade in?
If so far you're on track for the same grade and you have equal enjoyment of each subject then I would drop RS as Latin definitely makes your application stand out, and I believe it comes under facilitating subjects which makes it a strong subject to apply with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest