The Student Room Group

Are these soft a levels?

I'm taking:

Maths
Further Maths
Business studies
Psychology

For a level and some people say that business and psych are soft subjects. Does the this limit my chances of going to a Russel group uni?
Hi, according to Russell group unis (they have a list of 'facilitating subjects') psychology and business are 'soft' subjects, but unis don't usually ask for more than two facilitating subjects (for you maths and further maths), so your chances of going to a Russell group uni shouldn't be limited. If unsure, check the websites for the unis and course you are interested in
Reply 2
Bump :u:
Original post by Queenie123
I'm taking:

Maths
Further Maths
Business studies
Psychology

For a level and some people say that business and psych are soft subjects. Does the this limit my chances of going to a Russel group uni?

I took four A-levels. One was a well-respected subject, one was a medium-ranking subject, one was a soft subject and one was a "lol, what a doss" subject.

I got five offers from Russell Group unis and ended up going to a Top 10.

Also, belonging to the Russell Group isn't necessarily the be-all and end all. I would advise looking up the top universities for your chosen course.
Reply 4
Original post by Rocco123
Hi, according to Russell group unis (they have a list of 'facilitating subjects':wink: psychology and business are 'soft' subjects, but unis don't usually ask for more than two facilitating subjects (for you maths and further maths), so your chances of going to a Russell group uni shouldn't be limited. If unsure, check the websites for the unis and course you are interested in

Thanks, I will check university websites
Reply 5
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I took four A-levels. One was a well-respected subject, one was a medium-ranking subject, one was a soft subject and one was a "lol, what a doss" subject.

Also, belonging to the Russell Group isn't necessarily the be-all and end all. I would advise looking up the top universities for your chosen course.

Which subjects did you choose? 🤔
Reply 6
Does the this limit my chances of going to a Russel group uni?

To put it simply;
No, it does not.

I did criminology, politics and int. relations on an access course and got into a RG uni.
I'm taking:

Maths
Further Maths
Business studies
Psychology

Lse is a russel group uni and they have a list of preferred and non preferred subjects. Out of your a levels business studies is considered non preferred. But since since you are doing 4 a levels and two of them being mathematics. As long as you get good grades im sure business studies would be overlooked especially if it relates to the course you are applying to.
Reply 8
Original post by sophieschofield
Lse is a russel group uni and they have a list of preferred and non preferred subjects. Out of your a levels business studies is considered non preferred. But since since you are doing 4 a levels and two of them being mathematics. As long as you get good grades im sure business studies would be overlooked especially if it relates to the course you are applying to.

Ok thanks
Which subjects did you choose? 🤔

Well-respected: Religious Studies
Medium-rank: English Language
"Soft": Sociology
areyoukiddingme: General Studies

I study Linguistics now.
Well-respected: Religious Studies
Medium-rank: English Language
"Soft": Sociology
areyoukiddingme: General Studies

I study Linguistics now.

Cool:smile:
I'm taking:

Maths
Further Maths
Business studies
Psychology

Time and time again we have A level students spouting absolutely erroneous statements regarding A level qualifications.

"Soft" and "hard" A level subjects do not exist. The purpose of the RG's facilitating subjects list is for students who are unsure of their degree choice and wish to keep their degree options open. It is not about soft or hard A levels, but A levels that allow you onto a higher number of courses.
https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf (see page 1).

As long as you take A levels that allow you onto your chosen courses then you are fine. It is a myth that Russell Group universities prefer/respect certain A level subjects over others.

For example, in 2014, 8 candidates applied for Law at various RG universities with an A level in Drama - all 8 candidates received offers from their respective university choices.
https://www.lkmco.org/what-a-level-subjects-do-russell-group-universities-prefer/

It is about time this rhetoric about "soft" and "hard" A levels stopped as it is not helpful for students making decisions about their future A level and degree choices.
(edited 6 years ago)

That's because universities do not respect certain A levels over others (see my above post).

A levels that are excluded by entry requirements (i.e. General Studies) are a different matter.
Original post by Cubone-r
Time and time again we have A level students spouting absolutely erroneous statements regarding A level qualifications.

"Soft" and "hard" A level subjects do not exist. The purpose of the RG's facilitating subjects list is for students who are unsure of their degree choice and wish to keep their degree options open. It is not about soft or hard A levels, but A levels that allow you onto a higher number of courses.
https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf (see page 1).

As long as you take A levels that allow you onto your chosen courses then you are fine. It is a myth that Russell Group universities prefer/respect certain A level subjects over others.

For example, in 2014, 8 candidates applied for Law at various RG universities with an A level in Drama - all 8 candidates received offers from their respective university choices.
https://www.lkmco.org/what-a-level-subjects-do-russell-group-universities-prefer/

It is about time this rhetoric about "soft" and "hard" A levels stopped as it is not helpful for students making decisions about their future A level and degree choices.

Thank you! That was very useful
Hello! I'm currently a Y13 student needing at least a grade B, yet in my easiest exam I got a grade C. As the days get closer, I get more and more worried about not meeting my target grades. Currently I have the Edexcel book, but reading examples from a book isn't my go to method for learning things. Anyone have any websites/resources that they've been having a lot of success with? I've looked around some of the resources here, but I want to hear which ones are popular here.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest