The Student Room Group

gcse stress

hello everyone i, stressing about my gcses which are next year(summer2018) and convinced im going to fail them, i need 4 B's and 2 A's to get into my schools sixth form and was wondering how hard are gcse's
Original post by irontiger
hello everyone i, stressing about my gcses which are next year(summer2018) and convinced im going to fail them, i need 4 B's and 2 A's to get into my schools sixth form and was wondering how hard are gcse's

Convincing yourself you're going to fail them, especially from this early on, is crazy. You'll just put yourself through hell this year with that negative mindset, so you definitely need to start by getting out of that frame of mind!:h:

Instead, try and be positive. You've got a whole year, which is plenty of time, to get your grades to where you want them to be. I've just finished my GCSEs and yes they are hard, but they're definitely manageable if you're organised and plan your time well. (Guessing A-levels are gonna be much harder though lol.)

My advice would be:

-Start making some revision material soon, so that you have things like flashcards and mindmaps to revise from later on.
-REVISE PROPERLY for your mocks. That way you can see exactly what you know/don't know, making it much easier to work out which bits you need to focus on more/go over with your teachers.
-Use your resources, THERE ARE SO MANY! Use revision guides, YouTube videos (like mr bruff), class notes, online materials etc...you can find so many useful resources on the internet!
-Ask your teachers for help if you're stuck! It's really important that you try to make sure you understand everything in class, so that when you're revising you're just going over things rather than trying to learn them. Obviously do your best to be independent (you don't have them in the exams) but if you need help then ask for it!

Good luck!:smile:
Reply 2
Thx you Soo much you have honestly made me want to push myself and do the best thank you. Also you should become an inspirational speaker :smile:
Reply 3
As a person who flopped their GCSEs one biggest advice is: do NOT underestimate them, one of the biggest mistakes I made in GCSE, everyone said to me "Oh GCSEs are fine, nothing to worry about" you should worry, they are hard as ****.
I did mine this year and they went really well. But you need to start revising early on. I ignored this advice and regretted it.
Also you have to accept that what happens happens and that being too stressed will negatively impact the outcome.
If you get organised now and start making revision notes etc. then it will be less daunting in the summer.
Reply 5
Original post by irontiger

Dont worry about them too much , thinking you're going to fail is the best set up for failure. Do your best. Whether that means paying attention in lesson or revising at home , you have the whole of year 11 to prepare. Even if you don't get the grades after doing everything you could you're guaranteed a place somewhere, though you may end up resitting a subject or two.
Reply 6
Hey don't worry about it too much, honestly okay I just did mine and managed to get 6A*'s and 3A's which was way better than both what I was predicted (a few A/B's and a couple of C's) and what I expected but that was all because I worked really freaking hard for them.

Some advice though coming from a massive procrastinator, say your going to start revising as early as possible so then when you finish procrastinating from doing it (which for most is inevitable) you will be in a good place to start early enough! Like I said I was going to start in November so that when I actually started in late December I was still totally fine. ^.^

Oh and the most important thing to do, that I honestly am sooo grateful to my past self for doing, is REVISE FOR YOUR MOCKS! Don't listen to those people who say u don't need to because they don't matter, they are so crucial to giving yourself a solid base to start from for your actual exams.

Just do your best though and don't stress too much. As long as your willing to put effort in you can really surprise yourself with what your capable of! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest