The Student Room Group

Gcse pressure

Hi, I'm in year 10 and I'm already ready nervous and worried about my GCSEs. I'm doing 10 and I'm predicted 7-9s on the new system, I have never felt pressure to preform in exams before but now I'm a bucket full of nerves. I have an older sister who got all a* so I'm feeling a little like I have to live up to that. I'm finding French difficult and I'm also very worried about English because I'm not the best at essays. Can anyone help ???
Just chill man, don't think you gotta compete with your sister, just work hard and do the best you can. You'll see the real stress when you hit a levels.
I'm year 11 now. I remember feeling overwhelmed by it all this time last year.
It's important to remember that the run up to GCSEs is a marathon, not a sprint and that gaining those top grades is a journey. Attaining these grades from the very beginning is unlikely and it takes some time to pick up the skills, terminology, vocabulary and awareness of what the examiners want to see. I wouldn't worry.
For me, I am still learning how to write the great essay the examiners are looking for and that with English Literature it can take a long time to finally grasp the right way to phrase and explain things. You are only at the very start. Soon, you will begin to notice improvements in your classwork, which will hopefully be highlighted in your end of year/ mock exams.
If you are finding French hard, it's important to think about which bit is difficult. Are you finding new grammar hard or vocabulary? Speaking, Listening, Reading or Writing? The best way to see your confidence with the language improve is by learning the vocab as once you can understand a large amount of the words, everything seems easier. Looking over grammar that's already been covered that you might not have understood too is important as once you have grasped it and have got good at using it, you should see an improvement in your French.

You have only just started Year 10 and have so many more months ahead of you before you actually sit your exams. For now, do your best in school and try not worry about it all. So long as you try to remain ontopmof it all, the sooner you will realise that it's not as hard as it first seemed.
Hope this helps
Reply 3
I started working at a 4 in English Lit and Lang at the start of year 10. Barely paying attention and writing notes which i didn't even know what they meant, I got a 7 (just about) in my poetry mock and paper 1 mock for language.

You will pick up techniques. Read high grade responses and you'll figure out how to do it.
Reply 4
Honestly, don't over think it; I think that's the worst thing you can do. My best advice would be to start making neat notes that u can just put away so you have things to revise from when it comes to y11. But u still have 2 years. Listen in lessons and focus on yourself, no body else especially not your sister. My brother did extremely well in English and I was pressured to do even better and that made it even worse so don't compare yourself to her, you'll have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I wrote some gcse tips the other week on my blog if you want to check it out. It's wordsandrosesxo.blogspot.co.uk
Hope this helps, good luck ☺️🤞🏽

Quick Reply

Latest