The Student Room Group

Career in Dentistry

Hi, I'm a student in his first year of GCSE's and I wish to lead a career in dentistry/ dental health. I've been instructed by the school to make my own placements for work experience for one week. My problem is that many universities that have dentistry courses say you need 2 weeks + dentistry experience, do I have to make do or can I do an extra week or two on my own accord (should the establishment take me on?
Try and find some dental work experience - you could apply for one or two weeks (you may have to ask your teacher first). Alternatively, you could return to this work experience and do another week later on in the future (summer holidays?) if you impress. If not, look for another work experience week later on.
Reply 2
Hi there,I am currently a second year dental student at a well known dental school in Scotland. My school stipulated that I must have had 2 weeks work experience before applying. It will be difficult to accomplish this at a single practice or hospital so I recommend carrying out 2 weeks of work experience cumulatively. I think I spent a week at a dental practice during my summer holidays, a week during the time allocated for work experience by my school and then a day at an orthodontic practice and another day at a dental laboratory. I then mentioned all of this on my personal statement and received 4 interview invitations.

Quick Reply

Latest