The Student Room Group

planning to study computer science, can't choose university

So i got my AS level results:
Maths-A
Biology-A
Economics-C
Geography-C
Currently, i'm thinking of Surrey, Dundee or Heriot-Watt.
Are these good or decent unis?
But I kind of know that Surrey is hard to get into as it requires ABB, Dundee requirements are pretty low CCC-BBB and Heriot-Watt is BBB.
Do you guys think AACC is enough for ABB or BBB?
Are there anyone who study in these unis that can share with me how they think about these unis?
Which one is better to study CS in?
And how about the environment?
AND the MAIN POINT is do you guys think I have high chance to get into these unis?
Thanks in advance for your helps.
I think you could put in 1 ambitious choice eg Kings AAB or Bath A*AB or Edinburgh AAA

How good is your Maths? Could you get an A* prediction?
mate you can get AAB unis with your grades and better unis incl. RG. I got BBC in A2 two years ago, BCCD in AS - obviously really underperformed. My predicted was ABB and I got offers from Newcastle - AAB, reduced to ABB,
Sheffield - ABB,
Cardiff - ABB,
Lancaster AAB,
Kent, ABB.

As for whether theyre "good unis" ask yourself if you think theyre internationally renowned, do they rank well on table for given subject and overall, the city is liveable and you wont go crazy there. I might keep Surrey but fill the rest up with better unis and they fact you have maths at an A and a science is very good. I did English Lit - B, Econ - C, IT - C, Accounting - D AS and turned out ok. Im at cardiff now after having done my Science and Engineering Foundation year at sheffield uni.

Also studying comp sci
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 444plus222
mate you can get AAB unis with your grades and better unis incl. RG. I got BBC in A2 two years ago, BCCD in AS - obviously really underperformed. My predicted was ABB and I got offers from Newcastle - AAB, reduced to ABB,
Sheffield - ABB,
Cardiff - ABB,
Lancaster AAB,
Kent, ABB.

As for whether theyre "good unis" ask yourself if you think theyre internationally renowned, do they rank well on table for given subject and overall, the city is liveable and you wont go crazy there. I might keep Surrey but fill the rest up with better unis and they fact you have maths at an A and a science is very good. I did English Lit - B, Econ - C, IT - C, Accounting - D AS and turned out ok. Im at cardiff now after having done my Science and Engineering Foundation year at sheffield uni.

Also studying comp sci

Woah, thats great! may i ask how you can get predicted grades ABB when u get BCCD at AS?
Reply 4
Original post by mathsinsider
I think you could put in 1 ambitious choice eg Kings AAB or Bath A*AB or Edinburgh AAA

How good is your Maths? Could you get an A* prediction?

Actually, i'm just one mark above the A mark boundary
Original post by Rockgo288
Woah, thats great! may i ask how you can get predicted grades ABB when u get BCCD at AS?

got straight nearly straight A's at GCSE and just didnt adapt well to A levels even though I didnt find it hard. It was just a lack of motivation even though I had the ability and my teachers were aware of that. My personal statement to the Uni's along with references may have been a factor to getting my offers, who knows :P.
Original post by Rockgo288
So i got my AS level results:
Maths-A
Biology-A
Economics-C
Geography-C
Currently, i'm thinking of Surrey, Dundee or Heriot-Watt.
Are these good or decent unis?
But I kind of know that Surrey is hard to get into as it requires ABB, Dundee requirements are pretty low CCC-BBB and Heriot-Watt is BBB.
Do you guys think AACC is enough for ABB or BBB?
Are there anyone who study in these unis that can share with me how they think about these unis?
Which one is better to study CS in?
And how about the environment?
AND the MAIN POINT is do you guys think I have high chance to get into these unis?
Thanks in advance for your helps.

Most definitely you could go higher. The issue with Heriot-Watt is that it is a good uni (had a very good friend go there), and very strong in engineering, but it's not really well known outside of Scotland.

As others have said, you could get in to other uni's too with those grades. Glasgow, Sheffield, QUB, Newcastle... you could expect to get in to any of those without any problems and more besides if you keep up your grades (especially in maths).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending