Spoiler

Don't forget to "spoiler" your solution :wink:

I've added it to your post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Don't forget to "spoiler" your solution :wink:

I've added it to your post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

right, thanks. sorry. first time posting a soln.
Original post by LaiFuShi
right, thanks. sorry. first time posting a soln.

No problem at all :smile:
Original post by southpacific
Nice proof! :biggrin:
How did you find the specific powers?
(I did the problem by dividing 2^33 and using the binomial expansion)

Spoiler

Sample Paper 2, Q12 I think

Spoiler

Original post by ThatGuyYouSaw
Sample Paper 2, Q12 I think

Spoiler

Spoiler

CSAT is right around the corner so I just wanted to ask what everyone's doing for preparation at this stage in time? :biggrin:
Original post by yungabzzz
CSAT is right around the corner so I just wanted to ask what everyone's doing for preparation at this stage in time? :biggrin:

I haven't done all of the questions in the second sample paper yet, so that, and otherwise just as much as possible other maths (MAT for example). I doubt I'll magically become amazing at these kind of questions in a week :dontknow: but it makes me feel better nonetheless :biggrin:

I'm mainly going over my C1, C2, M1 and D1 knowledge and making sure I know all the equations :smile: I'm trying not to stress myself out and am just going to do my best on Monday :wink: when is your CSAT? :biggrin:
Original post by CompSciCat
I haven't done all of the questions in the second sample paper yet, so that, and otherwise just as much as possible other maths (MAT for example). I doubt I'll magically become amazing at these kind of questions in a week :dontknow: but it makes me feel better nonetheless :biggrin:

You seem pretty smart I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Original post by CompSci2018
I'm mainly going over my C1, C2, M1 and D1 knowledge and making sure I know all the equations :smile: I'm trying not to stress myself out and am just going to do my best on Monday :wink: when is your CSAT? :biggrin:

Mine's on Tuesday :frown: not enough time at all. What kind of equations are you hoping to keep in your head? Just the key ones?
You seem pretty smart I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

hahahaha thanks if I would only feel that way

Good luck to you in your preparation for the CSAT, even if it is so soon already for you :smile: But I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't even think about preparing, so you are plenty ahead of them already
has anyone done question 13 of sample paper 2, I'm not sure how to do it. Also how have people worked out the speed for question 12?
Original post by flamesofsnow
has anyone done question 13 of sample paper 2, I'm not sure how to do it. Also how have people worked out the speed for question 12?

Question 13: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4949576&page=10#post74856302

Spoiler

For question 12, I just

Spoiler

Original post by uponthyhorse
Question 13: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4949576&page=10#post74856302

Spoiler

For question 12, I just

Spoiler

I tried to do that, but I couldn't get to the right answer. Where have I gone wrong??
Hi there. Has anyone done sample paper 2, question 19? I'm not sure how to finish it. I tried the link to the solution on page 1 of the thread but I didn't see a solution anywhere.
Could someone explain the premise of question 19 on sample paper 2 to me (I don't want to look at the solution right away), because I thought if you had dx/dt, then the variable in the equation should be t, not x? Sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid but we've never used the dy/dx notation in school and I am very confused by it :colondollar:
Reply 218
Original post by CompSciCat
Could someone explain the premise of question 19 on sample paper 2 to me (I don't want to look at the solution right away), because I thought if you had dx/dt, then the variable in the equation should be t, not x? Sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid but we've never used the dy/dx notation in school and I am very confused by it :colondollar:

You're right that normally, people write the differential in terms of the input variable (t in this case), but there's no reason why you can't write it in terms of the output variable.

Consider y=x2y = x^2
You would normally write dydx=2x\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2x
, but at the same time you can also write dydx=2y \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2\sqrt{y}

Just substitute y=x^2 into that last equation, and you see that you just end up back at the second equation.
Original post by StayWoke
You're right that normally, people write the differential in terms of the input variable (t in this case), but there's no reason why you can't write it in terms of the output variable.

Consider y=x2y = x^2
You would normally write dydx=2x\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2x
, but at the same time you can also write dydx=2y \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2\sqrt{y}

Just substitute y=x^2 into that last equation, and you see that you just end up back at the second equation.

Thank you, this makes it clearer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending