The Student Room Group

can i go cambridge?

I'm not white nor middle class already putting me at a disadvantage but at GCSE i got
3 A's
3 B's
3 C's
and i'm currently doing English lit, Media, Economics and Arabic. Hypothetically speaking, if i were to get A* in english lit and A for the rest would i have a chance in getting in to study english if we were strictly talking grades?

Also i know somebody who got A* in english then A and B but still got in, what circumstances do they let you off even if you dont get the grades?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by filmaker
what circumstances do they let you off even if you dont get the grades?

National level sporting/musical achievements usually do the trick :wink:
I'm not white nor middle class already putting me at a disadvantage but at GCSE i got
3 A's
3 B's
3 C's
and i'm currently doing English lit, Media, Economics and Arabic. Hypothetically speaking, if i were to get A* in english lit and A for the rest would i have a chance in getting in to study english if we were strictly talking grades?

Also i know somebody who got A* in english then A and B but still got in, what circumstances do they let you off even if you dont get the grades?

Your GCSE's literally do not matter - see:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+i+get+to+cambridge+by+train%3F
Reply 3
Original post by shadowdmdm
National level sporting/musical achievements usually do the trick :wink:

does that mean i should join a team for music/sport or do i need actual medals and achievements
If you have any mitigating / extenuating circumstances they will take that into consideration - they have a separate form for this.
Your application may be flagged if you come from a low socioeconomic background and go to state school where you perform higher than the average for your school. Cambridge look at applications holistically so they will take all of the following into consideration:

- Predicted grades
- Written admissions assessment
- AS grades (if you sat them)
- Performance at interview
- Personal statement
- Reference
- Written work from school

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/what-are-we-looking-for
3 A's
3 B's
3 C's

Can you? Yes.
Will you? Most likely, no.

P.S. not being white probably puts you at an advantage.
3 A's
3 B's
3 C's

Yes you still have a chance. If you think you can make the grades for A-levels go for it. Have you watched Ibz Mo's Youtube Channel? He got 2 B's, 3 C's and 2 D's at GCSE turned this round to A*A*A at A-level and is now about to start his 2nd Year at Cambridge! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxqTpLPWlMg&t=65s

Quick Reply

Latest