The Student Room Group

Kosice UVM Starting September 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dfa1994
UK too. I went out to Kosice open morning this weekend to have a look. Are you definitely planning to start there in September?

Ah awesome how was it? Yeah I am, just sorting finances out, probably won’t get over to look till July though. You definitely going?
Reply 21
It was very different! The week before I had visited the RVC so I don't think the contrast of that helped but I tried to go with a very open mind. Overall, I think if you look past the exterior (run down buildings etc), the actual facilities of the university are very good. They have horses/sheep/birds and reptiles on site so there is a lot of practical interaction with live animals. From what the lecturers said, students get involved in clinical practice so much earlier than we would in the UK, which I really like the idea of. The town is small but has some nice restaurants and bars. Very few people seem to speak much English but you can just about get by... I hope after being there for a couple of months that I'll be able to pick up a bit of the language! The halls, again, from the outside are pretty dire. But in comparison to UK halls, the rooms are huge. You are allowed to decorate/furnish them however you like so I think I would probably arrive a week before lectures commence to make sure I had a comfy, clean, fresh living area. A couple of UK students I spoke to whilst there seemed quite content but said it can get boring at the weekend so they try to stay busy by going hiking/skiing etc. I'm still waiting to hear back from RVC after interview which is in the back of my mind but realistically and financially, Kosice is my only option at the moment. I feel like if there were enough like minded people there that were keen to stay busy and do nice things as well as work hard, it would definitely be doable.
Reply 22
I applied to UK uni’s for this year but was rejected so this is something I’ve been considering instead. I’m not sure whether to re-apply next year and if I’m rejected again go with the abroad option or to just stop delaying things and apply for this year 😬
Hi,
i am looking at UVM as a possibility and have booked an open day in February. I am currently completing my A2 exams and have the choice of going to university to do a BSc in Zoology and then going onto to the post grad option at Kosice or just go straight into the six year Kosice course.
I have offers to do veterinary medicine at Bristol but grade wise i think this is out of the picture.
I also have an unconditional to do zoology BSc hence why the offer seems so attractive at the moment.

Can anyone give me any advice on what they would do in this situation?

Has anyone got any experience with the entrance exams for the undergraduate option?
How do they compare to a level exams?

People who have gained places onto the four year course:

What A levels or the equivalent did you get and do you know if they really look at them?
Would you recommend doing a degree prior?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 24
Original post by Anguscunningham
Hi,
i am looking at UVM as a possibility and have booked an open day in February. I am currently completing my A2 exams and have the choice of going to university to do a BSc in Zoology and then going onto to the post grad option at Kosice or just go straight into the six year Kosice course.
I have offers to do veterinary medicine at Bristol but grade wise i think this is out of the picture.
I also have an unconditional to do zoology BSc hence why the offer seems so attractive at the moment.

Can anyone give me any advice on what they would do in this situation?

Has anyone got any experience with the entrance exams for the undergraduate option?
How do they compare to a level exams?

I got terrible A levels, went on to do Bioveterinary Science and am now starting veterinary medicine in September. Although having got one degree under my belt, along with the extra confidence that gives you, I think you'd be mad not to just go for Vet med straight away!

It'll save you a year of time and tuition fees and you won't feel like you're taking a step back when you're starting at year 1 again.
I got terrible A levels, went on to do Bioveterinary Science and am now starting veterinary medicine in September. Although having got one degree under my belt, along with the extra confidence that gives you, I think you'd be mad not to just go for Vet med straight away!

It'll save you a year of time and tuition fees and you won't feel like you're taking a step back when you're starting at year 1 again.

So did Kosice look at your a level grades when you applied whilst completing your degree ? Or is it all done on the condition you get your degree?

Ok thanks for the advice, just need to pass the entrance exams!
Reply 26
I think it was purely based on the fact I had a good degree - they asked for my transcript so I think they take specific modules into account. (Presumably chemistry based ones as I know someone who didn't get in due to having done a pure Biology degree)
Well if someone didn’t get in with a biology degree I’m not sure Zoology will cut it ...! It’s on their list of degrees which is accepted but as is biology
Reply 28
I do know a couple of people with places that studied zoology. I also met some Zoology students on the open morning I attended, so don't worry! Just email admissions and they will be able to tell you straight away. Its the eaaaasiest application process.
Original post by Anguscunningham
Hi,

I was in the exact same position 8 years ago (oh god!), had unconditionals for Animal Science and Zoology ...because of that I didn't work hard for A2 but I got my Animal Science degree and now I'm in 5th year at Kosice.
I don't regret doing it this way because I have my degree to fall back on and Student Loan repayments aren't a massive burden but part of me does think I could have graduated two years ago and be earning by now... Back then employers were unsure of EU grads but now everyone I speak to is really positive.

If I were you I would work hard and study for Bristol, there's still a chance you can get in, get a Student Loan and the support that goes with that. Apply to UVM as a backup so if you don't make your offer and have financial support to study abroad, go for it. If you're doing A Levels now the entrance exam will be fine.
Don't think they really look at your A Level grades for post-BSc as each qualification you do kind of supercedes the previous, when I apply for jobs I doubt they'll really look at my GCSE and A Level grades as long as I have the DVM certificate.

Friends of mine started Zoology and switched to Animal Science because it wasn't what they expected (they dissected dogfish while we went lambing, dissected cows, horses, sheep etc) so check the module descriptions if you do choose that route.
Reply 30
Hi, anyone who has applied for the 4yr course, do you know if there is any guidance on what to include in the cv?
Reply 31
Original post by EMLR
Hi, anyone who has applied for the 4yr course, do you know if there is any guidance on what to include in the cv?

I have applied and been accepted. I just wrote a basic CV like you would for any job which included: School attended & grades achieved + dates, university attended inc course name + dates, jobs you have had with brief explanation of role, any relevant work experience you want to mention. I also added a shortened version of my personal statement that I'd used for UK uni applications. Hope this helps :-)
Original post by yusl
you can contact katarina from the foreign students office [email protected] for the entire process

I've been accepted to the 4 year course for sept 2018 too :smile:

Hey! I am also applying for September 2018! Also a mature student (28 ha). I've emailed my documents and was wondering how long did it take you to hear back?

Thanks!

Alice
Hey! I was wondering how long does it take them to reply and evaluate roughly? I emailed them Monday with all my documents. Did you have to send your a levels along with degree transcript as well?

Thanks
Original post by alialice1314
Hey! I was wondering how long does it take them to reply and evaluate roughly? I emailed them Monday with all my documents. Did you have to send your a levels along with degree transcript as well?

Thanks

Hi, it took about 3 days for them to reply, yeah you send off your degree transcript with your A levels certificates aswell.
Reply 35
Will be attending the open day in two weeks . I will apply for the 4 year grad programme once I complete my biochemistry degree in May. Anyone know if there are conditional offers given or do I have to wait till May?
Reply 36
Original post by alialice1314

Thanks

as said about 2-3 days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending