The Student Room Group

Will i receive student finance?

Im currently studying medicine at leicester uni. I plan on dropping out of the course this year in my 2nd year of the degree. I wanted to ask if i would be eligible for loans for another degree (pharmacy/optometry)? (I accidentally used my gift year because i forgot to inform the uni that i declined my university offer in 2018 so they thought i was studying biomedicine at keele). I also had to use cpr as i had to repeat a year due to ill health - i basically was hospitalised for months. I suffer with schizophrenia which has made living away from home very difficult for me as I feel socially isolated at uni.
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi there. Just to confirm, you have had 3 years in total of previous study. 1 from Keele university and 2 from Leicester university?

Could you also confirm the full name of the university and course you are looking to study? So we can check the funding for this? Also, when are you looking to start the new course? Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Just to confirm, you have had 3 years in total of previous study. 1 from Keele university and 2 from Leicester university?

Could you also confirm the full name of the university and course you are looking to study? So we can check the funding for this? Also, when are you looking to start the new course? Thanks, Leah.

Hi thanks for the reply. So i enrolled in 2018 but didnt attend uni. Then i got into med with fy year in 2020. Got sick and took a gao year. Returned in 2022 and complete fy year and currently in year 1 medicine. Im hoping to study pharmacy at either wolverhampton, aston or birmingham uni. Hoping to start in september 2024 or 2025
Original post by AlevelReject68
Hi thanks for the reply. So i enrolled in 2018 but didnt attend uni. Then i got into med with fy year in 2020. Got sick and took a gao year. Returned in 2022 and complete fy year and currently in year 1 medicine. Im hoping to study pharmacy at either wolverhampton, aston or birmingham uni. Hoping to start in september 2024 or 2025

Hi there, You mentioned that you had to drop out of the course due to health reasons, we can consider an additional year of funding for Compelling Personal Reasons. We would require evidence to be provided for us to consider additional funding.
Where applicable, we recommend evidence;

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

When this took place

[start]We can accept photocopies of the following; [/start]

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela